Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Jack Howard Gamemaster [circa 62-65] 66" 50# e-162 which I would rate at 90 to 95%. Finish is in excellant condition ~ no cracks. It has had a stabilizer bushing inserted [nicely done]. I am trying to determine value as I am considering selling it but have no real idea of where to begin. I'd sure appreciate your help. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help would be greatly appreciated so I know better how to proceed

·
Registered
20,773 Posts
gibb -

I don't have any current info, but you can do the usual eBay and classified checks.

Here's what I do know:

I bought my Gamemaster JET in 1975 for about $250, and IIRC the earlier Gamemasters (not the JET) sold for a bit less. Around the time of Jack's death, the NEW JETS were going in the $700 - 800 range, but that was a few years ago and not sure what's been happening since. Just haven't kept up with the pricing. I'm sure a few Internet searches might get you additional info.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Go to the following http://forum.gon.com/ , register, if you're not already, and check the Members List for PAPALAPIN. He owns quite a few Jack Howard bows and assisted Mrs. Howard in getting some bows completed that were in various stages of completion when Jack died. PAPALAPIN, also named Jack, can probably give you the best estimate of the value of your bow.

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
One correction, the last Jets that Jack made sold for $1000 each.

As for the value of an old original Gamemaster goes, a lot depends on the condition. Although they are still great shooters, the best value lies in their collectors value.

We don't see them come up for sale that ofte, so it is hard to say what they are worth by comparing to recent sales.

I have three of them, and two are in excellent shape. I would not take less than %400 for each. Now that is just me, and if I put them up for sale at that price I don't even know if I would get a bite on one.

We always say that these old bows are worth what someone will pay for them...no more, no less. With that in mind, I suggest you put it on ebay and let the bidders set the price. Set a starting bid, but don't go so high that no one will bid on it.

If you will go to the Tradgang History and collecting forum and post a description and pictures, someone my step up and suggest a value. Without knowing the condition and seeling pictures, I couldn't.

This may not help you much, but it is the best I can do for now.

Jack Millet
PAPALAPIN

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...

A huge thanks for the response Jack - it always means so much more when it comes from someone who is truely "in the know'. As for condition, mine is really pretty nice, but then I admit to a certain amount of prejudice. It still shoots like it did in the 70's [I've known the bow since then]. And the more that I learn about it, and about the man who created it, and factor in the man who gave it to me, the more convinced I am that I should just hang on to it. You've been more than helpful and I thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree that you should keep it. It should be a great shooter, and a hard to find collectiblw bow. Once you let it go, it will be almost impossible to replace.

Combining the history of Jack Howard, whom I considered to be a good personal friend, with the fact that it was given to you by someone that meant something to you puts a certain amount of personal sentimental value to it that is worth nothing to anyone else.

If it is in as good shape as you indicate, there are a lot of Jack Howard enthusiest out there that would love to get their hands on it. I have 10 Jack Howard bows and I don't intend to let any go, but if I did I would not even consider one that Jack special made for me and let me have it for 1/2 price. It has to much personal value that will bring nothing in a sale.

Hang on to it...you won't regret it.

Still would like to know the draw weight

Jack

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I'm sorry ~ the draw weight is 50#.

I sure wish I had the ability to download pics here so I could show you how nice it is. Maybe I can get one of my kids to show me. since they grow up with this stuff, it's nothing to them.

ken

·
Registered
60 Posts
I sold a Gamemaster Jet a year ago for $1000 it was in mint shape and 53# The bow market is a little soft right now but Jack Howard bows don't come up for sale that often.If you stick to your price you may get it.
I would love to see pictures of the bow

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a gamemaster off ebay
I paid $399 for it
It had been refinished with new tips
I bought ot go with a gamemaster jet I already had
It was an early model jet that had never been fired

·
Registered
Traditional
4 Posts
An original condition Jack Howard Gamemaster like yours is easily worth $5-700. Yours is a desirable weight and you say the condition is excellent and that stabilizer bushing should not deter the value. Any other holes for a sight, etc? Would think the top end value is where I’d start. The true value is what someone will pay for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts