Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went hunting in Central Oregon today looking for some mulies. There are a bunch of jackrabbits. Has anyone tried hunting these guys with a bow. They are tough, but fun. I never did get one, but I chased many of them all around the sage and juniper. You spook one and it bolts, but doesn't seem to go too far. So you try to sneak up on it, while walking around on crunchy dried up grass and twigs, get close to the bush it is behind, draw your bow and just as you are about to get in the perfect spot, he bolts again!

I'm going to try again and just spend a day trying to get one. I think next time, I will just sit and wait for one to come around, I figure a 30 yard shot on a jackrabbit will make the same shot easy on a deer! With my patience though, I will do this for awhile and then back to stalking those little buggers!

I'm supposed to be working on my first deer with a bow, but I totally got sidetracked on the rabbits. My husband found a nice shed while we were walking. I told him that I wasn't looking for sheds just for rabbits. He reminded me that he was looking for deer for me too. Oh yeah, the deer, seems I totally forgot about that!

Did see some mulies close to private property and they immediately jumped the fence into the private property, oh well onto tomorrow for some elk or blacktail.

Colette

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would shoot jacks once in a while when hunting mule deer in Alberta but never really targeted them. I can tell you this I seen a lot of jacks and very few gave me the chance for a shot.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Stay focused....Stay focused, good thing Dave's there to remind ya!

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Stay focused....Stay focused, good thing Dave's there to remind ya!
Shot this feller at 57yds downhill, I kill them daily..the property I hunt is over ran with them, property owner wants them thinned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
I love shooting Jacks! They are excellent target practice. Trouble is, around here, it's tough to get within 50 yards of one. However, they do help make you a better long distance shooter!

·
Embrace the suck!
7,777 Posts
Lady you have too much fun.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
best way to train for big game hunting is shootin rabbits
That's what I was thinking, I just was trying to get to close, when a longer shot would have been better for practice on a big animal. I got caught up in the challenge of getting close to one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
i shot one this last weekend while hunting pronghorn at fifty yards. they are a challenging shot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts