Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any anyone have experience with these, blood trails, etc good or bad. I have been using Shuttle T's but I have been toying with the idea of switching to expandables for deer. Shooting a 465 grain FMJ @ 265 fps so lots of KE. Rage and Reapers seem to big players but I have used other Wasp products in the past and have been happy with the quality for the price.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Here's my exp. with the Jak- Hammer Hit a deer thru the liver(my bad!) let him go over nite! Found him the next day, 1/2 mile away! Blood trail was very sparse! Not surprising with a liver hit! Next one .. friend and myself are in a blind with a decoy at 20 yrds in a picked corn field! , doe comes up turns broadside, sticks her nose on the decoy! I shoot, arrow takes her about 4 inches behind the shoulder! Buddy say's great shot!!! Now at the hit it just did not look quite right Arrow did not look like it penetrated alot, flipped out, but we knew we had her! She ran off about 10 yd.s and stood their for 5 minutes! Then moved off into the timber! Went to look for blood! No blood! Not at the hit site, not where she stood for 5 minutes , not on her exit trail, No where! We looked for a couple hours with no blood at all! When we went back to the field found the arrow ,it had not opened , and had hair and blood about a inch and 1//2 on the head! My fault? Maybe! We both saw the hit and it looked perfect!! My conclusion? Sorry! No more Jak-Hammers!!:thumbs_do For what it's worth!!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I can't comment on the expandables but their fixed blade model Hammer SST is excellent. After years of using dozens of brands I feel as though I've found the perfect broadhead.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've used them for the past few years and have had nothing but excellent experience with them.
If I were you I wouldn't thing twice about using them.
I was talking about switching to mechanicals at the shop and one of the guys out there turned me on to them.
I give them a big :thumbs_up

·
Up a Tree.......
3,197 Posts
I used them last year along with 2 other buddies and we had great success with them. 2 Bears and I think 13 or 14 deer and 3 ***** with them. None went very far and good bloodtrails. They will be loaded in the quivers again this year..........:thumbs_up

And these were the 1 3/4 " cut

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
They worked well for me and my hunting partner. I have used them for several years and have taken at least ten or more deer with them. The blood trails are usually really good. But that all depends where you hit them.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Any anyone have experience with these, blood trails, etc good or bad. I have been using Shuttle T's but I have been toying with the idea of switching to expandables for deer. Shooting a 465 grain FMJ @ 265 fps so lots of KE. Rage and Reapers seem to big players but I have used other Wasp products in the past and have been happy with the quality for the price.

I have shot 5 deer with them. 4 have dropped within sight of my treestand....the 5th I dropped my bow arm on the shot to cheat and hit the deer in the upper leg bone. Completely my fault. I shoot the 125's and I see no reason to ever shoot anything else.

·
Excellence is tolerated.
2,994 Posts
Great head. Been using them for a looong time. Most deer have dropped within sight. In all those years I lost one deer and it was my fault. Shot a turkey last year with one through the vitals and it went down like hit with a shotgun. Shot a coyote with one and it took off as fast as it could run...made it about 25 yards before cartwheeling stone dead.

Very tough, sharp, impressive head. I shoot about 300 fps, so I use two o-rings.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I have used them now for 3 years and they are awesome. I haven't lost a deer yet and most go down w/in sight. They leave devastating wounds, fly just like field points, great blood trails, I've never had one fail to open, all have passed through, very sharp, and they are very durable, I've shot several through deer and just put the band back on and go. You can also replace the blades if need be. I have been using the same 3 ferules for 3 years and just replace blades as I need too. You won't be disappointed.:thumbs_up I know I'll keep using them. Hope this helps.

edit: I shoot the 100 grn. w/ the 1 3/4 inch cutting dia., shooting over 300 f.p.s. as well and I use 2 bands on them

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Very good mechanical head. Rank right up there with the Nap Spitfire, and Rocket heads that are very popular amongst the mechanical users. Suprised more guys arent shooting them.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I shot a turkey with one. It shot 10 feet vertically in the air and landed in a heap of feathers. Great pentration and devastating cut. I could put my fist into the hole (keep in mind it was a turkey).

I think they are great heads...as are the NAP Spitfires that were also mentioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts