Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says,witch one do guys prefer to use?i like the idea of a stick application but gel seems the way to go also.anybody know how fresh these are?looking for more of a deer calming scent then an attractment scent.maybe a 50/50 blend trophyblend deer heard stick and a james valley estrous gel...any input is great thanks

·
THWACK!!!!
9,754 Posts
I'll be using trophy blend again this year. This will be my third year using tb scents and have been happy with results with them. Good luck

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have used J V for more than 20 years and it is consitently the only cover scent that i have had
real" **** follow me to the tree and wanna get in the stand with me!! Never had a negative reaction from deer on any JV scents.
I love all their gell scents!
Bill

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
If you want a calming scent, look no further than the Trophy Blend Whitetail Herd. It's the scent of a bedding area which will calm deer down.

David

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want a calming scent, look no further than the Trophy Blend Whitetail Herd. It's the scent of a bedding area which will calm deer down.

David
how fresh is this product?or dose it not matter being in a stick form?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I began using James Valley scents many years ago when you had to order by phone directly from him. Back then I would've paid triple what he was charging, it was that good. Had multiple bucks follow scent drags right to a canister and put their noses in it. And watched some of them make scrapes right on top of it as well. But since he started mass producing and selling through the large chain stores, I don't get nearly as good of results. It's still a good scent, but nothing like it was years ago.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I began using James Valley scents many years ago when you had to order by phone directly from him. Back then I would've paid triple what he was charging, it was that good. Had multiple bucks follow scent drags right to a canister and put their noses in it. And watched some of them make scrapes right on top of it as well. But since he started mass producing and selling through the large chain stores, I don't get nearly as good of results. It's still a good scent, but nothing like it was years ago.
Same here. X2.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have used both. I had great success with jv but wanted to try trophy blend. Long story short the trophy blend scared bucks off a scrape and i had to use jv to bring em back. I wont be using trophy blend again.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You cant go wrong with either one but I tend to use the james valley as a lure during the rut and I use the herd stick around my stand all season.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You cant go wrong with either one but I tend to use the james valley as a lure during the rut and I use the herd stick around my stand all season.
Thats the way im leaning also,TB herd stick as a cover and JV rut gel when things heat up.what JV scents are u guys using i think im gonna go more for a estrous scent....

·
Banned
2,988 Posts
I've had great luck with the VS-1 brand... Its pricey, but even when placed down wind I've had bucks walk around in circles trying to figure out where the deer was..
Ill be using it again this year.

·
Vendor
3,562 Posts
Great Post! and everyone has thier own opinion! Good or Bad and we are OK with that. Now with that being said, here are some thing to look at. Either way both companies are strong and very good.

1. Are you after a calming scent or Attractent? We all know when the Rut is and that when you want to use Estrus! Anytime befor that I would look into a herd scent.

2. Are you concerned with longivity of the product during and after application? Jells tend to disapate, dry up or wash off during rain. Trophy Blend wont.

3. Freshness??? Due to the molecular structure of Trophy Blend, and the carrying agent that hold the scent stable. Trophy Blend will stay fresh much longer than liquids or jells.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply,in a calming scent i think im going to use your herd stick,and a JV estrous scent getting closer to rut time.Im just going by reviews of other guys sounds like both companys have fans,and i guess it will take me trying both to find my own results.i will give u a call to place an order...thanks Jim

·
Vendor
3,562 Posts
Thanks for the reply,in a calming scent i think im going to use your herd stick,and a JV estrous scent getting closer to rut time.Im just going by reviews of other guys sounds like both companys have fans,and i guess it will take me trying both to find my own results.i will give u a call to place an order...thanks Jim
Jim look forward to doing business with you! Be sure to check out our twin pack too One Herd and One Estrus and save money. we al so have a sister company called Hard-On the trail. Check both out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts