Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mountain Life
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Season ended yesterday for me and for the first time in about 16 years I never killed a single deer. I know it’s not always about the kill but more of the time spent outdoors, lessons learned and enjoying Gods creation. With that being said I’d like to wish you and your family a happy, blessed and safe New Year. CP

p.s. If anyone has a good tag soup recipe, post it here or send me a PM.
9DA0C67C-7A0D-4199-8200-82D2A11B5B4F.jpg

·
Rattle Yer Head!
1,202 Posts
I prefer tag sandwiches, myself. :wink:

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
I'm with you bro! My last deerless year was 2003. Now I add 2017. The good news was I killed a slammer in 2004. Hoping for a similar pattern in 2018. Good luck next year and God Bless in the New Year.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I've been eating tags (Whitetail) for awhile but by choice. I've been blessed with a wide variety of Bucks & Does over many years. I set a personal goal on a Whitetail Buck like 8-9 years ago & gave up shooting does several years ago. I ease my have to kill craz with Pigs in the off season & other biggame when I get a chance.. I'm just fortunate to live in an area where a "monster" could step out but this year has been bad all around.. Now my thoughts are turning to targets & meeting up with old competitors & friends. My son did OK with a decent 10 & a Coyote & brother (age 69) with a Holloween day 8 pointer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I'm probably going to be in the same boat. We still have six days of archery technically but I'm not sure if I'll get out because of my work schedule. Also it's in the single digits and I'd like to think that I could suck it up and get out there but I'll probably just start prepping for turkey season and bass fishing. I know for next year that I need to start scouting public land early and hopefully get permission to hunt some private spots.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I almost had the Cinderella story ending last night. Had the buck I was after come into the beans at the last minute of shooting time. 28 yards eating, quartering away. Perfect. Chip shot. I went to draw back in this cheesy "doghouse" style blind and I couldnt do it without hitting my cam and elbow at the same time. I tried and and it sounded like a trainwreck and the buck bolted. 100% my fault for using too small a blind. Just stupid! Live and learn.

That was my only opportunity in MN at a P&Y class deer this year. Last minute of the last day in -15 temps.... uuuhhhgggg! At least he should survive to be bigger next year!

Happy New Years everyone!

·
Registered
18,236 Posts
Im with ya, i think this is the first year i havent killed a deer since i started 19 years ago at age 12

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
Don't feel bad, I got tag filled out of three myself, was not a great year for me. Didn't see the deer I have in past years. Already looking forward to next year, going to start scouting soon, do more trimming for more sets next year.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Don't feel bad, I got tag filled out of three myself, was not a great year for me. Didn't see the deer I have in past years. Already looking forward to next year, going to start scouting soon, do more trimming for more sets next year.
Next year??? THIS YEAR IS HERE BUDDY!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Do too health I went one morning.I'm fine with eating tag soup..I have alot too be grateful for..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts