Archery Talk Forum banner

Jawhorse bow press and fingers

2009 Views 2 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  bfoot
I have thought this would make a great bow press since I first saw it. I needed this as I do a lot of work on my house and if any of you have tried to have your wife or girlfriend help you hold something... well let's just say it's worth the $179.00 price just to avoid that.

This press will press a bow up to 37" and you can buy an attachment to make it longer. It is easy to use and requires no skill other than an ability to use a hacksaw to make the fingers. I used fingers from a previous bar press but you can make your own (I have tried them and they work fine) by going to Lowe's or Home Depot and buying a bracket for a tool organization bar. They cost about $10 a piece but they already are rubber coated and are easy. You can make you own of course. I attached the fingers by removing the rubber guards on the Jawhorse (one screw on each) and then used a piece of metal bar that had holes in it and inserted screws with washers through the existing holes in the Jawhorse clamps. Required no modification of the Jawhorse.

An added bonus is that this is a great tool well made and now available at Lowe's. For years they had "infomercials" and you had to order it so that added a significant amount for "shipping and handling".

To answer a question that will be asked - no it does not slip. I showed a close up of a lock button just in case you are nervous. To release the bow you push down slightly on the pedal, slide the button to open and physically push the far clamp away from you. Don't forget to hold the bow while doing so. I think you can do anything with this press with the possible exception of removing limbs. I am sure someone will post a way to do that before long.

Here are Pictures:

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention several things. One, if you make your own press fingers out of the tool bracket you will have to bend it so it is a little less wide. A heavy hammer works well. Second, this Jawhorse will press with a force of two tons. So go easy. You do not have to press the pedal all the way down. When you get it pressed to your satisfaction even if only a quarter of a push on the foot bar you can let off and it will stay there. You can (and probably should ) lock it by moving the button down to the lock position. Just remember to move it back to the unlock position when you want to release it. It will not jump open when you move the button. You have to barely press the foot pedal while pushing the clamp away from you. Again, remember to hold the bow while you do this.

Bob

· Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forget the hammer to make to fingers less wide, dumb idea - my bad. Instead after cutting the bracket place in a medium to large vise and crank it down until you get the correct width. Here is a before and after picture.

Product

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.