Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay all, not sure where else to turn.

Bought a brand new CK 4.0 a couple monthes ago and got to shooting it.

I noticed a 2 inch "crack" in the paint on the upper limb, start where the limb meets the riser. I was nefrvous so had 2 pro shops look at it, and both said it is just bad paint, and the limb was solid.
Well after about 50 more shots after noticing the "crack" in the paint a real CRACK in the limb developed - at full draw at 70lbs, sounded like a 2X4 breaking.

Well I took it to the local Jennings dealer and he sent the limbs, and it took 3 weeks for me to get my bow back (in the meantime I used my buckmaster happily).

Well i picked it up this past friday, and have LESS THAN 100 shots through it and low and behold on the upper AND lower limbs, starting at the riser there is another "cracK" in the paint - about 2 inches long on the lower and less than an inch on the upper.

Is this just bad paint, or have these limbs really "cracked" in less than 100 shots? Has anyone else with the Jennings CK models noticed bad paint?

Any help is appreciated, or anyone that has a good deal on a 60-70lb bow with a 30-31 inch draw that is relatively quick lol

(also a side note - I would take the bow back to where I bought it for a refund, but they only offer "in store" credits and I was NOT pleased with my service there so I am not going back there at all)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I shoulda put mathews or hoyt in the title lol

ttt :)

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
Is this just bad paint, or have these limbs really "cracked" in less than 100 shots?
be kinda hard to tell without a digital macro mode pic or seeing in person and feeling...

does it look just like the last ones did??

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post some pics tomorrow as best I can, not sure if you will be able to see them though.

They look exactly the same as the "crack" in the paint last time that ended up being a cracked limb. I guess I know what the answer is to my question already, just trying to hope that it isn't true.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Look closely

I would look at it with a magnifying glass if you have one. If you have a bow press, you could take off the limbs and see from the limb bolt slot whether the crack extends deeper than the surface. If you do have cracked limbs again, there has got to be a problem with that individual bow. Those limbs should not be cracking at all, let alone that quickly. Personally, I would see if there is any way the dealer could push for getting you a replacement bow, instead of just new limbs. The only problem is that you are dealing with Escalade Sports instead of a company whose main or only business is archery.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried to post pics, but you couldn't really see the cracks.

Sent it back to Jennings and explained the problem.
They fully worked it over and checked it out and replaced both limbs.
Their evaluation was that the limb bolts were too tight and it stressed and cracked the paint/limbs when drawn.
The first crack in the upper limb the first time around was just after my local pro shop had tightened them up. The second set limbs that I had put on was maxed out by the Jennings dealer I had the bow at.
Both times the cracks corresponded to times when the limbs had been tightened down, so it makes sense.
Good customer service by Jennings, great turn around time. I was not expecting the bow back by the start of PA hunting season, but surprisingly it made it!

Either way, I am in love with the Bowtech, and wife is seeing one too many bows around the house, so this 4.0 will be up for sale anyway, if anyone is interested PM me or check my post in the classifieds section in a day or so!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts