Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been using this for years (Hi mountain)only problem i have is that you measure the cure/salt with a tablespoon or teaspoon and not by weight. weight is much more precise. this is especially true with there cure as they call it ,since it does compact unlike kosher or pickling salt. there salt contains nitride. i called the 1-800 number they give for help, to ask if they have a weight instead of a measurement. i was told that their product will not compact. their instructions even say do not compact !!!. anyway i did a test (not sure what took me so long) and using my arrow scale i found their was over a 100 grain diff. between compact and loose . i found that 170 grains = 1 TBS was just right for me . 3 TSP =1TBS. so no more to salty the most common or not salty enough. hope this help someone out

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I always use the hi mountain, and I don't remember having too salty or not enough salty. I do, however, like to use more seasoning then recipe calls for.

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
I use it just a the directions say (hickory flavor), but also add garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and crushed black peppercorn to the mix. Freaking awesome jerky!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use it just a the directions say (hickory flavor), but also add garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and crushed black peppercorn to the mix. Freaking awesome jerky!
yah, i have been using it for years with excellent results . i use original (2 parts) and hickory (one part) and use the amount of spice given in directions for ground meat for my jerky. salt part is the same from whole meat to ground meat but the spice amount is different ,( more spice for ground meat) the only problem i had was the salt, sense it can compact or be loose . i made batch #2 using the 170 gr = 1 TBS, perfect again for my palette.i am my own worst critic

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have been using the high mountain and it has turned out great. Its like anything though, you need to get a feel for what you like and how much to use.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I never liked the tast with the cure in it. I use there mix without cure and freeze it or keep in frig. Is this a bad thing???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts