Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· The Foam Collector
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finished up my new press recently and am very happy with it. Easy to use, plenty of room to work, holds parallel and non-parallel limb bows very securely, and no hydrolics to blead off (problem I had with my other DIY press). Go to www.freewebs.com/cougarjim/ for a free download of the plans. Even if you bought everything here it could probably be built for less than $100. I have about $50 in mine thanks to some free scrap steel.

Attachments

· The Foam Collector
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'll post some pic this weekend, my camera has completely conked out on me since and I plan on replacing it today sometime. The X-press will also press the Mathews Monster and the X-Force type bows with no additional parts and pieces. The Mathews web site actually shows a Sure Loc X-press pressing a Monster. I believe this design is the most versitile design going right now. One of the shops I frequent has 4 different presses none is an X-press. I THINK this press could take the place of them all, I haven't tried all bows of course but it will press a Mathews Apex, Drenlin LD, Martin Bengal, and a Mathews Genisis and anything in between with pleasure.

One word of warning though, the free plans I downloaded were pretty crude, I have several years of fabricating experience so it wasn't a big deal for me, maybe the newer plans have better detail? I can help answer questions if needed.

Good luck,
David

· ---------------------->
3,546 Posts
David
I don't know if you have been in the back over at Crazy Horse in Campbellsville but Shawn has a X press and it presses any bow that I have seen him put into it. This is an awesome press and I can't wait to get mine built! Hey I hope to see you tomorrow at the sportsman club!

Wes

· Registered
Elite Rezult 36 and Elite Enkore
2,528 Posts
Hi Jim

Your X-PRESS looks great JOB WELL DONE.

On your press there are 4 handles that are used to tighten the slides can you tell me were I can purchase them and what is the proper name for this lever?

Thanks.

Ron
X2-i need 4 of them also

- i just built a X-press using the Jim Cougar plans and it is outstanding

· The Foam Collector
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The levers came from an old machine that went out at work, you don't need anything this fancy. All you really need is a bolt with a handle or knob of some sort welded on (or just use a wrench:)).

wesbark01, yes I go to Crazy Horse Archery quite often, shot a couple weeks of his indoor league this year. Sean is a good guy and yes his Sure Loc X-Press is great also, his press is part of the reason I decided to build my own, the real thing cost about $600. I'm building a string jig with a stretcher attachment right now, going to experiment with string making.

Still don't have a new camera, was at Walmart twice today...maybe tomorrow?

· The Foam Collector
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So r those planes control line ?
Yea, I'm and RC guy but I do have a small collection of C/L planes. The yellow one is 35 years old given to my son by a close friend, the Hyper Viper is a plastic and foam Cox piece of junk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.