Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Former Wyoming Boy
8,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jim Dougherty Passes 9/27/1936 --- 9/21/2015

Jim was a great outdoor writer, past president of the Pope and Young Club, one heck of a bowhunter and one of the early promoters of archery and bowhunting.
I've read his column since the begining... always entertaining.
Mr. Dougherty had been fighting cancer for 10 years.
Rest in peace, Jim.

Wyoming 2012

Attachments

· Registered
708 Posts
I hadn't heard of his passing. I have heard about some of his early days in the archery business but I am most familiar with his articles in Petersen Bowhunting, which I loved. I know he was sick a couple years ago and was limited to hunting from a blind, but that didn't diminish his passion for the sport. Rest in peace Jim.

· Registered
1,563 Posts
Dad put on a good fight for several years. Was talking about getting out & getting his ground blind set up 2 days before he passed. Even when he knew it wasn't going to happen. He passed very peacefully. We buried dad in Idaho & had a very nice memorial for him in Tulsa with many of his great friends. He always said he was just a bowhunter like every other bowhunter. He just got lucky & was able to do it for a living. He sure had some awesome adventures. And I'll I can hope is that he is now on many more with his buddies Fred Bear, Ben Pearson & many others that left us before him. They have a nice farewell to dad in this months Petersen's Bowhunting along with his last Trails End column. Thanks for the kind words.

· Registered
1,986 Posts
Darrall, I am sorry to hear of the passing of your father. He was one of a few men that I idolized in the bowhunting community. I have always enjoyed his stories in Peterson's Bowhunting, and to be quite honest, he is the reason I have kept my subscription for as long as I have. I will miss his stories for sure. Prayers go out to you and your family.
I'd like to think that there's a place in heaven for all the old time bowhunters and that my dad and father in law are up there now shooting the **** with Jim, Fred and the many other bowhunters to pass before them. May you rest in peace Jim.

· Pick spot/Squeeze trigger
223 Posts
I always loved reading anything and everything he put to the paper. Down to earth stories filled with real and genuine feeling and a style that was easy to relate to. He will be sorely missed by many and yet another great one to move on to the happy hunting grounds.

RIP and happy hunting Jim...........

· Colorblind blood trailer
2,588 Posts
His writing inspired me to pursue whitetail a with a bow. I am sorry to hear of his passing and wish him nothing but joy in the happy hunting grounds above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.