Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use one? What do you think of it? How much helical will it do? I'm hoping I can do my carbons with 4 or 6 degree.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
I use a Jo Jan. The 4 or 6 Degree you are referring to is generally terminology used with offset degrees for straight clamps. I use the helical clamps and put a lot of helical on my Easton carbons and it works great. So much in fact that you won't get feather clearance on a standard prong style rest.

I use 4" Gateway Right Wing feathers for hunting. I use the straight clamps for my target shafts, which I apply straight.

You can move the arrow holding portions left or right to accommodate virtually any arrow size and apply feathers or vanes in any manner you wish. Can get a little pricey if you get all the appropriate clamps for every scenario but well worth the money.

Note: the clamps are metal of course. If you put a little bow wax on the insides of the clamps, as well as the bottom it will keep the excess glue from sticking to the clamps.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered a JO jan with a right helical clamp, what does tha mean then? I plan on using duravanes with my Blackhawk vapor 3000's. I have a trap door drop away so I'm wanting to fletch with a helical to help stabilize broadheads.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Right Helical application means the feather or vane spirals around the shaft. This is what you generally want to create a greater amount of spin to help stabilize broadheads. Again, this is why I use feathers, they grab a little more air than vanes, a bit noisier in flight though.

You may find that helical won't work well for vanes on carbon's, but I may be wrong. You may have difficulty in making good vane base contact depending on how you set the jig. It's hard to explain without a pic, and my cam is at my office. I'll try to post a pic for you tomorrow.

Straight offset is merely cocking the vane to one side or the other. This seems to be the norm for vanes. Most factory fletch shafts come this way. You will get more spin with helical, but you may need to use feathers to get the desired results. Maybe not though.

Feel free to send me a pm if I can be of further assistance.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
straight / helical

here's a pic of the clamps.

Left is straight clamp, center is my hunting arrow (right helical feathers), and right is right wing helical clamp.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
for doing feathers, the helical clamps will work best with 0 to 1 degree of offset. feathers have a more flexible base, along with having a natural curve make them more suited for helical fletching. i remember reading somewhere, that the helical clamps are 11 degrees

for vanes, the straight clamp with up to 4 degrees of total offset, -2 on the back and +2 on the front will give you the best vane base contact with the shaft. you can tinker with the front and rear offsets to get the best performing offset for your application.

the versatility of the jo-jan is what makes this jig ageless. its one of the few archery tools that is the K.I.S.S principle in action

·
Registered
20,291 Posts
bh_21_03 -

I have a multifletcher (that's what they were called, before they were call the Jo-Jan).

You actually have less of a window than you might think. I want my feathers to have the greatest bonding surface (Quill to shaft) possible. So the degree of offset is more dictated by the feather length and shaft diameter, than how much you'd actually like to have.

That would be the case whether you were using a JJ or a Blitz. Just a thought.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it will still work using a helical with vanes? I hope so, thats what I'm planning on using. I don't know about feathers. Too much of a hassle in bad weather. SO I'm sticking with vanes and hopefully I'll be use a helical. So if you can offset the straight clamp 4 degrees, whats the difference in straight and right clamps? Does the right clamp have more degree of shifting or what?

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Jo-Jan helical will work on carbons using vanes at least mine does. I am using Easton Evl. with AAE vanes. Follow the directions for setting the jig. I adjusted the 'V' at the front untill it was almost compleatly to the left(looking at it from the back) and the rear part all the way to the right and my vanes fit very well. No gaps or rocking when glueing them on.

I am using the AAE "superglue" gel that they send with a 50 pack and have very good luck with them sticking on. Yesterday I even pushed an arrow backwards through a one foot thick styro broadhead target just to test the strength of the glue. The vanes came out a little wavvy but held on just fine.

I too like K.I.S.S. and Jo-Jan just works for me.

Darkside

1 - 11 of 11 Posts