Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used a Jo Jan multi-fletcher for several years now and I'm really starting to hate it. I find fletching helical on carbons to be nearly impossible. I can never get the vane to set perfectly on the shaft. Either a front or back corner of the vane doesn't set well on the shaft (regardless of vane size). I've read the instructions, I watch the helical marks on the jig, I use an additional short vane on the top end of the clamp (like the instructions recommends when fletching short vanes) in order to keep the rear of the vane in contact with the shaft. No matter how hard I try or how careful I am about setting up the jig, it just doesn't produce the results I'm after. I'm almost to the point that I might sell it (I have four straight and three right helical clamps), so I might be open for offers :teeth: Anyone have any pointers on using this frustating machine?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I used my dad's the other day and had the same problem so you are not alone.Try playing with the right to left adjustments on the top and bottom. I had some success with this but still not the quality results I was looking for. The Blitzenbergs are way better IMHO. GOOD Luck!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
At the local shop they have one the Jo-Jan multi- fletcher jigs with the straight and helical clamps. They was having the same problems when fletching helical. It would work fine with large dia. shafts, but it was a pain with smaller shafts. They gave up and bought 6 Bitzenburger jigs with straight and helical clamps and now they only use the Jo-Jan with the straight clamps.

Darrel

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have 2 Jojan Multis in my shop and they are pretty poor quality -- I had to grind and file the helical clamps individually to get them to seat properly on the shafts so I don't use them that much anymore --- your better off getting a few Bitz's and with the instant glues available now you can do a dozen arrows pretty quickly.

Go with something of better quality and you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
I still have Gerhardt Multifletcher i got in high School in 1955 in VA Later they changed to name to Jo Jan when Joe Russnick bought the biz. Made in MD

I have maybe 8 of them which we sue daily in red Dot Bow Pro Shop

We are able to fletch perfect Helical on Axis arrow every time and they are e not messy or ugly.

Here are some Axis arrows red Dot made last year with Full helical RW Now NAP says offset is best but they were made 18 months ago Thanks

TINK

Attachments

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Tink, is it possible that the quality of the Jo Jans has gone down since you bought yours? With companies cutting costs, etc..it is a possibility. I know this has happened in other industries...esp when a company is sold to a larger corporation...who then comes in and tries to cut costs as much as possible...the end result is that the quality of the product suffers and no longer lives up to its past reputation...just a thought...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm not sure if the quality has changed or if its due the wide range of arrow sizes that we have today. Think about all the different size shafts it must be able to adjust to fit, A/C/Cs to 2613s.

Darrel

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Good point Darrel...I thought about it but figured that it was already a given that there is such a wide variety of shafts to choose from.

I was thinking of the old saying..."They just don't build them like they used to" and if that applied in this situation.

Look at some of the junk you get nowadays...the stuff just doesn't last like it used to...cheaper parts, plastic parts, made in China parts, etc...the product may look the same...but it's not the same...if you now what I mean...and as the saying goes...it's only as good as the weakest link...one crappy part can degrade the whole machine...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Point taken, I miss the good old days :sad:

Darrel

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
The problem is the flat clamp trying to rest on a surface that is not flat, the skinnier the arrow the harder it is. As the fletch wraps around the shaft, the front and the back of the fletch need to be pulled out of the jig a small amount to get them to sit tight on the shaft for the length of the arrow.

What I do fletching my wifes arrows is to individually adjust the fletch in the clamp puling the front and back of the fletch a small amount from the clamp, test it by laying it on the shaft in the jig, adjust, test, adjust, test ..... til it fits like I am happy with. Put on the glue and put it in the jig.

Pain in the butt but it works. For me, I don't mind, I do it while watching TV, but for the volume of arrows a shop does, takes to much time. With offset/straight clamps, its not as much of an issue and as the arrow gets fatter it gets easier. My 2314's are a piece of cake.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Mine works well, however I would hate to do it with a slower drying glue. I use Goat Tuff, and basically set the clamp down and hold it there for approx 15 seconds or so focusing on putting pressure on the front, so it seals up and bonds well. This is the only way, and it's not too much hassle considering I can scrape old fletchings off, and refletch 12 new arrows in an hour or so. If I don't put pressure on the front, and if I wasn't using a fast drying glue, I am sure I would have the same results at the people in this thread. My helicals are on GT 75/95 XT's so they are pretty skinny as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts