Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a small shop in Statesboro, GA and was looking for advice on items to keep in stock. Figured I would post this here and see what the archery community wants the most.

·
Registered
426 Posts
At least a couple left handed bows for us lefties to try out

·
Registered
51,134 Posts
What sells here in Michigan may not sell in your area. You have to kind of figure out what the locals are looking for and what they are willing to pay.
But keep this in mind because it's the latest greatest doesn't mean it will sell. Guess wrong on one thing can put you in the poor house.
Stay with brand names and things that are proven to sell.
Once you bought it it's yours and most things can not be returned.

·
USMC 04/2005-05/2013
3,603 Posts
Also have to look in the demographic of your area on what people can afford. The shop down the road from me, sells mostly $300 bows. His higher price points stuff sits on the shelf because my area does not make a whole lot of money.
Rests, releases, stabilizers, arrows with extra nocks(lighted), tips, vanes, and broad heads. Wrist slings, noise dampening, sights, peep sights of all sizes and colors. A good range with nice easy pull targets.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,764 Posts
Like Dale, what sells....and don't listen to your friends or replies like already given, left handed bows, broadheads, soap.... The boss has a pile of Dead Down Wind products, good products, but even at half price they haven't sold....Mossy Oak hunting gloves, we have a wall of them and at half price haven't sold 2 pair......

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Doesn't matter what you stock as long as you can get it in a hurry and have good customer service.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
You can sell anything.....

I've tested the theory many times, find products you believe in and sell them. Make sure you have good support from your reps, without it you will suffer.

Also take advantage of monthly deals and specials from distributions some can generate some decent margins.

3 price points, and a few options is what you need, anyone that tells you high end equipment does not sell has no idea what they are doing.

Watch you prices, you cannot compete with big box stores so don't try. Great service will go a long ways for sales, never bad mouth your competition or products. If you see some products failing explain your experience with customers, but respect what they want to use also. If you don't have a shooting range build one.

Good luck

·
Registered
191 Posts
You can sell anything.....

I've tested the theory many times, find products you believe in and sell them. Make sure you have good support from your reps, without it you will suffer.

Also take advantage of monthly deals and specials from distributions some can generate some decent margins.

3 price points, and a few options is what you need, anyone that tells you high end equipment does not sell has no idea what they are doing.

Watch you prices, you cannot compete with big box stores so don't try. Great service will go a long ways for sales, never bad mouth your competition or products. If you see some products failing explain your experience with customers, but respect what they want to use also. If you don't have a shooting range build one.

Good luck
This is gold. In my experience in the multiple retail sales jobs I have held (including archery), 90% of the people that walk in the door have no idea what they actually want and end up leaving the store based on what you influence them to buy. There are the few that are dead set on a product and will leave with it no matter what you say. Sometimes you will get people that have an idea what they want, but when you give them more detail about the product and their choices, they quickly change their mind. Of course you also have the people who will flat out tell you that they know nothing and will buy what you recommend.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
One interesting thing to do is to look at Amazon and sort various categories and see what sells...they rank everything by sales rank on there...it can take some time, but it is useful...other than that, understand you market base, and stock items that are good that you believe in...go to other shops in the area and see what they have, and at what prices...I'd check out Bowhunter's Supply...probably a very similar market to yours...except you have more college kids...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Go eagles! Be a god idea of finding out the disposable income the population has. Excellent college town, surrounding area could be a large factor. Good luck.

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,119 Posts
Me....I can sell snow shoes in Florida, but that's me. It's also because I believe in what I sell, I trust what I sell and I'm passionate about what I sell. Then when what you sell works for them as good as it works for you.....They will have even more trust in you. Hence you have built a great customer relation. Be passionate and always remember to take care of the customer.

·
Lacking Gravitas
64,496 Posts
Just a suggestion.

Go to local 3D shoots, and see what everyone is shooting. Compliment guys on their setups, and BS with them, that way you will learn what people want in your area.

Dale_B1 is spot on correct - what sells in one part of country does not sell in another.

Example: I can't sell my 2009 Hoyt Katera with a 7 pin sight, rest and quiver for $300 on craigslist, but my 2010 Destroyer went in 1 day for $400 bare bow. This is obviously BT country.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've hunted GA a lot & from what I see the bows most people shoot are Mathews, Hoyt & PSE in that order.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
Me....I can sell snow shoes in Florida, but that's me. It's also because I believe in what I sell, I trust what I sell and I'm passionate about what I sell. Then when what you sell works for them as good as it works for you.....They will have even more trust in you. Hence you have built a great customer relation. Be passionate and always remember to take care of the customer.
This.Knowing about product your selling outways anything. One you can answer any questions or doubt, two you can install and know how said item works,3 you can give honest advise/positives based on factual knowledge. Good luck, most would love to open a shop and you have done it.Dont get discouraged at first and remember know your bows and how to set them up properly and treat people with respect two things most shops cant figure out hence why most buy online, if a shop can tune bows not just eyeball everything I will spend 15-20% more on accessories vs online to get it done quickly, if not I'll buy online and do it at home when my kids go to bed.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts