Archery Talk Forum banner

How many button buck shooters plant food plots

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
lease or own land ?How many of you BB shooters work hard on food plots and work to make a better habitat for the deer you hunt.I think it will be clear where the difference falls.It has been said that a trophy is in the eyes of the shooter.Well if you don't allow anything to walk I guess you have to be satisfied killing young bucks.What some don't understand is that we also allow 4's,5',6's and 8's to walk.QDM is about a proper age structure in the herd ,not just a blood lust for anything brown.While I do understand shooting
ALMOST anything on public land.Its just not for me.I haven't killed a buck in several years,not because I haven't seen them either.I suggest some of you try foodplots,I think it will truely change your outlook.Let the attacks begin

·
74,535 Posts
Well I say this

Some think shooting deer over food plots/corn feeder is wrong.:eek:

Before you truly give us your ethics. Let hunters here tell you how they feel about how you hunt.

Some actually think hunting from a tree is bad and using a scope on primative gun.

To each is own. Most I dont think shoot a button buck on purpose

Not one of choices work for me.

We do qdm and shoot ever doe we can and often it happens to be a button buck.

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
I have been archery hunting for 5 years now and have yet to get anything. I have let 4 button bucks walk and a lot of smaller does. This year being in college and only getting to hunt maybe acouple weekends I will be harvesting anything LEGAL that walks by which means it has to have 4-points to a side other than that its ALL fair game. Oh and yes I do have crop fields.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
I think your name says it all! PerchJERKer!!!!

You take care of your property and do what you think is right and mind your own business about what others do. It's attitudes like yours that make me want to :pukey: .

If your all about QDM why don't you try to educate others instead of these attack antics that make many want to shoot BB's just to spite you?

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
Fth

What he said!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Perchjerker,

I also hunt in the Heart of Dixie. Trust me, plenty of button bucks are killed here each year. I don't intentionally kill them but I have killed a few, mistaking them for does. Actually I don't see anything wrong with shooting one. We could all go to QDM and set our standards to B&C minimums and there would still be deer of all ages on everyone's properties.

To each his own I guess.

3L

·
Banned
919 Posts
I don't own my own land so i don't plant food plots. I don't shoot anything but mature deer and does!!! I have no problem with anyone shooting whatever they want but I just don't cuz if i shoot them they have NO chance to grow up!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I dont have the land to plant plots on right now. I have and will continue to pass on the button bucks. I would rather take a mature doe than a buck that still has potential.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
I use my bino's to study each and every deer before I think about taking the shot. A button buck in my neighborhood is normally a small to medium sized deer. I look for the big does to harvest to avoid such a mistake but a close look at the head is also a must for smaller sized deer.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daniel,the choice is there.

Since you practice QDM,and may kill BB's by mistake .The poll is about those that choose and activly hunt BB's.I did not attack anyone in this post,maybe some took it as an attack ,but it was not meanmt that way.I suggest anyone that took it that way was just looking for an arguement.anyone that is interested in learning about QDM can learn all they want at www.QDMA.com.
Its a positive choice to work for the bettermeant of your deer herd.It makes more sense to some of us than just sitting in a tree and hoping a deer will come on the land you hunt.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Oh my, now this seems like a thread with potential! :) All kidding aside, I think it should be interesting to see just how little the brown & downers care about anything in this sport. Improving habitat, timber management, foodplots, balacing sex ratios,..... no way, that would be to much effort or work!

I think you'll find that if you're asking what these blood lust, brown & downers put back into the sport, the habitat and the animals, then you'll see that it truly is NOTHING! That's exactly why they are the way they are. They simply spend the couple dollars on a hunting license and a deer tag and shoot at anything they see that resembles a whitetail. This is why we see spotted fawns and unbelievably tasteless photos posted here once the season gets underway.... they just don't care!!! Do you think they are going to put forth the effort to improve and maintain anything in the whitetail world??? I think not, that would be WORK! :rolleyes: After hearing what many of them have to say, or actually, what they are NOT saying..... it truly can break the heart of any serious sportsman! :cry: It's not an addiction or a passion to these folks, it's just something to do, it's braggin' rights at the local tavern, it just doesn't mean anything to 'em. This is why it is so hard for many to understand the views of anyone as passionate as some here are.

Best of luck to ya this season.

·
Registered
396 Posts
we dont plant food plots we farm,a club were in is on a farm.no baiting here i guess.....but i see nothing wrong with it as long as its legal where you are....but nothing grippes me to the bone more than somebody that shoots a button head......get mad all you want but there is no sense in it.kill all the does you want,in fact i encourage it.if you see a deer thats 2 feet tall let it walk and wait on an old doe or shooter buck.

maxx

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I do not shoot button bucks. And for my friend that shoot button bucks on my land we have a wipping post for them. I will shoot doe fawns but it is hard sometimes to tell. I spent 10 min looking at the head to make sure on most occations.

But last year i shot 2 button buck that were in bad shape. One had its leg busted and could barly walk the other one got shot in the mouth by the orange army and it wouldnt have made it a day.
matt

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Cornfed said:
Oh my, now this seems like a thread with potential! :) All kidding aside, I think it should be interesting to see just how little the brown & downers care about anything in this sport. Improving habitat, timber management, foodplots, balacing sex ratios,..... no way, that would be to much effort or work!

I think you'll find that if you're asking what these blood lust, brown & downers put back into the sport, the habitat and the animals, then you'll see that it truly is NOTHING! That's exactly why they are the way they are. They simply spend the couple dollars on a hunting license and a deer tag and shoot at anything they see that resembles a whitetail. This is why we see spotted fawns and unbelievably tasteless photos posted here once the season gets underway.... they just don't care!!! Do you think they are going to put forth the effort to improve and maintain anything in the whitetail world??? I think not, that would be WORK! :rolleyes: After hearing what many of them have to say, or actually, what they are NOT saying..... it truly can break the heart of any serious sportsman! :cry: It's not an addiction or a passion to these folks, it's just something to do, it's braggin' rights at the local tavern, it just doesn't mean anything to 'em. This is why it is so hard for many to understand the views of anyone as passionate as some here are.

Best of luck to ya this season.
Cornfed's consumed another big, tall frosty glass of stupid this morning.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Only an example that the folks that are pushin' arrows through fawns are the same folks that shame us all anyway. I mean, heck, you can tell in some of the photos! We all know the type :cry:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I chose that I plant food plots and shoot anything I want. It does not mean that I am going to shoot a button (I have by mistake and will not again) but I am also not waiting out for a 4 yr + deer either, if the buck in front of me is bigger than my last I will try and keep it together enough to put a muzzy through the lungs ! As far as does I actually like the 1.5 yr olds for eatin. I also will take a doe over a smaller buck any day!

·
Registered
390 Posts
i do work on my land,for deer, but do not want botton bucks killed,or small does,to me this is sick,a botton buck that makes it to the next season will be a nice deer for a hunter, not [email protected] but nice deer - killing a botton is a brown its down thing.i know in the last 2 years 5 botton buck killed on my road how many would of turn in to 4-6-8 bucks, same guys talk crap about no decent buck around, what a joke. botton buck takers should have to put them on a buck tag if they have 1 open before using there doe 1:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I don't want to sound mean or get blasted but if someone is on my land or my lease and shoots a BB, they aren't coming back...EVER! No excuse...I have a huge poster that I show any newbies that details about button bucks, it shows picture of characteristics of a bb...I always tell people to, if its by itself and little be very cautious b/c there is a good chance its a BB...And lastly, if there is any question whether it is, don't shoot it!! I'd expect the same from people letting me hunt too!

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
The fact that someone plants food plots has nothing to do with whether they shoot button bucks or not!

We planted 2 fields in food plots this past year...each is between 3 and 5 acres. Why did we do it? For the same reason everyone else does I guess....too keep deer on our property. Without the plots there would only be nuts for the animals to eat.

As far as the button buck comments....NO ONE intentionally sets out to shoot button bucks! Although some will shoot the first thing they see no matter what it is.....it is often to put meat in the freezer. I am one of those guys. That doesn't mean we are no more passionate about the sport than the QDM guys! In fact I would bet a large sum of money I spend more time practicing, scouting, and hunting than 99% of the QDM guys on here. For some of us it's not about the rack but rather the whole experience. I can be as excited shooting a fawn and getting some good, tender meat as I would be shooting a booner. That's just where my priorities lie and I won't attack anyone that thinks otherwise and will only shoot Booners but I will respond to jabs!

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Well you see

I would like to do a little more "experimenting" with conservation , plots and so on

However

I hunt some public land … no food plots there and the two farms I also hunt don't want me tilling up there land for food plots. If it's plantable it has corns or beans

I guess Im not a real hunter

But if I could I would have to go make the investment in an ATV, seed and other equipment to plant and maintain the food plot. And I don't think thousands of dollars to plant an acre of deer food to supplement the acres of deer food that they already have is the best use of my families limited resource

I guess I am not a real hunter

The way I see it food plots are designed to attract and hold deer while giving them the nutrients to grow BIGGER racks through artificially encouraged means. I supposed the nutrients pay dividends to the deer heard as a whole but considering there are to many deer already I don't think the food quality is lacking to much

So in my area food plots Help with QDR ( quality deer racks) but does NOTHING to promote QDM as the deer population is TO healthy already and more need to die by Hunters or Natures hands .

So do you really believe that the MILLIONS of hunters that can't or won't plant some non native food species to grow bigger racks are not real hunters
??

Me thinks I know what makes a REAL HUNTER more and more every season and it is NOT down and browner or those with the high dollar ,private herds and food plots but people that practice something in between

1 - 20 of 137 Posts