Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be a good topic. I tried to find one on the "advanced search" but with no luck.

I was just curious what is the greatest distance you know (actually know 100% for sure) that a particular buck has traveled? Be it you know from hunting two stands 3 miles apart or possibly that you had a camera out and another hunter on a different property also had a cam pic of the same buck several miles apart.

So list how far aprt the buck was seen, how you know this is fact, and what state. As I am also curious about location, as I expect some of the flatter states to have greater distances. Thanks!

I know of a deer that was on two different trail cam pics about 4 miles apart, terrain miles...not as the crow flies. Seems like most articles state that 1-3 miles is typical during the rut.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I read a story that a guy was after a certain buck and a young girl shot it about 10 miles away. Cant remember the where I read it only the thought of the buck moving that far off his home range during the rut seemed crazy.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
4 miles i saw him chasing does in the morning and he chasing in the afternoon 4 miles away

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
There was a good article in the QDMA Whitetail magazine where they had radio collard some bucks and the collar took a GPS reading every 20 minutes. And they had one buck during the rut covered something like 17 miles in a 24 hour period. That is why I like the rut you never know who might show.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lets get some more posts here! 17 miles is ridiculous!

·
Registered
949 Posts
10-15 is pretty common here.

·
74,535 Posts
On my lease it pretty large. Maybe four or five miles long.

Now that many of us use trail camera. Im amazed sharing pictures. Same buck I get on far end of ranch, another member may get a picture that same evening four or five miles away. Bucks travel alot farther and more than I realized until we started using trail cameras.

Seems the young 1.5 and 2.5 really travel. We all got a picture of the same young buck several times at different locations on the ranch. That 2 yr old really got around.

·
74,535 Posts
There was a good article in the QDMA Whitetail magazine where they had radio collard some bucks and the collar took a GPS reading every 20 minutes. And they had one buck during the rut covered something like 17 miles in a 24 hour period. That is why I like the rut you never know who might show.
I can honestly believe this. I use to believe a big buck traveled with in a five mile radius but to many collared bucks and studys show they travel alot farther. Im thinking due to drought this year are deer may be traveling a longer ways for food source.
DB

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
in PA we got a pic of a 7 point in august on one farm, shot him about 3 miles away on the opener in october.

also had the bucks im after this year start out on my grandparents property, and then they dissapeared, put the cam out on another property 2 miles away and found them again

·
74,535 Posts
Wonder why bucks come and leave and do travel long distances. Could it be the dominant bucks are looking for a area they can be the stud buck?
DB

·
TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,828 Posts
Friend of mine killed a 160" buck that was deff known about and had trailcam pics of him 6 miles away.. I thought that was crazy but guess not!!

·
Born yank raised south
16,757 Posts
We got video of a buck in Kansas in 2002 the day before season started that was a nice 145 class 9 point with a drop tine. The next day opening morning one of the guys killed him 4.5 miles away, which was verified by GPS, from where he was filmed.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Great topic.

·
Land of the Giants!!
4,374 Posts
On north american whitetail I believe it was, this kid shot a beast in WI and it had traveled 7 miles from his home farm. The kid found out because word got out and a dude came forward with trail cam pics and a couple years worth of sheds from the beast off his prperty 7 miles away.

That's VERY easy to believe for sure. I wouldn't put it past a buck to cover 10 miles in a day during prime chasing/searching conditions. Hell, what's a mile? Make it 10. That's nothing to a loved crazed deer. They have big bodies with lots of muscle and energy and one thing on their mind.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Our deer bed on AVERAGE 4-5 miles from food source. Sometimes much further. And they almost never use the same bedding area twice. Ive seen them move 12-15 miles every day for cowpeas, this includes does and fawns where I hunt.Easy to watch them out here. For some reason they wont bed close(1-2 miles) from the food but will take off across the plains and pass up lots of good areas to bed in a thistle in the middle of a plowed field or a center pivot. They like to be able to see a long ways here. Probably way outa the ordinary for whiteys tho. Muleys beleive it or not seem to travel less.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great posts!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Agree this is a great topic. Any of the studies indicate WHEN the mature bucks start to travel more and when they wind down and start staying more in their home range?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
On my lease it pretty large. Maybe four or five miles long.

Now that many of us use trail camera. Im amazed sharing pictures. Same buck I get on far end of ranch, another member may get a picture that same evening four or five miles away. Bucks travel alot farther and more than I realized until we started using trail cameras.

Seems the young 1.5 and 2.5 really travel. We all got a picture of the same young buck several times at different locations on the ranch. That 2 yr old really got around.
I have heard a saying...2 and a halfs walk til they die...meaning the 2.5 year old buck walk along way during the rut. I think this is two fold...1 the mothers no longer want them around anymore and 2 they need to find a place that doesnt have any mature or dominant buck hanging around...

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
common here is appx. 8-10 miles in a day.
avg. would be near the 4-6 mile range.

i have the "honey hole" and i know for a fact, that every buck, within a 6-8 mile range will show up there in NOV.
flat ground and little to no fences ,it's easy for them ,to go futher.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts