Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or least I put it on lay away.
I had made my mind up to get a Bowtech extreme VFT….until I shot a Hoyt Havotec. Shooting the Hoyt was a pleasure, but I had eliminated Hoyt from the get go because of the creep. When I shot it my impression greatly changed, sweet shooting bow. A customer in the shop came back and wanted to know what I was shooting because he barely heard a sound. Then I heard more about the spiral cam and ½ and the wall it had. I found one today and put it on lay away (660 beans nice). Nice shooting bow also, plus it had the wall I was wanting for my draw.

I’ve shot the Bowtech Patriot Dually & Extreme VFT, Matthews Black Max, Legacy, LX and Ultra, the AR 34. The only ones I eliminated immediately out of that bunch was the Black Max, too much torque after the shot (the bow always kicked to the side), and the AR, the vibration at the handle was extreme. Both bows were at 70lbs and in their defense, they were naked except for a rest. The others shot well and each had their pluses and minuses.

But shooting the Hoyt was nice. I shot the Supertec bare bow and it was smooth considering it was bare bow and hard cam. No noticable kick and no extreme vibrations…bare bow!

I don't have brand loyalty when it comes to bows, but this makes the last two bows I've bought to be Hoyts. All because of the feel. Matter of fact the bows I've had are PSE Fast or Fire Flight, Pearson Spoiler, Hoyt Super Slam and now a Hoyt SuperTec.

Now I need to decide upon a arrow rest. Another important decision, that you don’t take lightly. I think that with the Hoyt’s you need to be particular for which rest you choose, so that it fit’s the bow properly.

Man, can’t wait. Just glad the wife isn’t here to find out how much I’m spending!!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
What are you going to use the bow for? The type of rest strongly depends on the activity....

It seems that:

Hunting -> Trophy Taker.

Target -> Original Brite Site Pro Tuner.

I'm not sure about other activities....

kgk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bow use

I'll primarily be using the bow for hunting; then secondarily for 3D.
I'm leaning towards either the NAP Quicktune drop away 2000 or a Bodoodle 300 or 400 zapper.

Funds are starting to get tight, so I'm trying to keep it under $45.00 for the rest.

I've been searching Ebay.

To compound the problem, I was talking to my wife last night (I'm deployed to Florida she is trying to get our new household started up in Indiana) and she told me don't buy a new bow!!!!!

As Homer Simpson would say..............DOH!!!!

I'll deal with it later.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
AS FAR AS A REST GOES I WOULD GET A QUICK TUNE 3000 THIS REST IS GREAT.EASY TO TUNE IN,YOU HAVE MARKS FOR EVERY ADJUSTMENT SO YOU WOULD NO IF ANYTHING MOVED.YOU WOULD HAVE THE PRONG REST FOR HUNTING AND A BLADE FOR 3-D 1 REST FOR EVERYTHING.I HAVE THE 3000 ON BOTH MY HUNTING BOW AND TARGET BOW AND WOULD NEVER CHANGE A THING.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Great choice with the Hoyt!
I just bought a Razortec yesterday and it's fantastic.
I couldn't decide what rest to get either,so I let them talk me into a Whisker Biscuit.Works great.
I was apprehensive about it being accurate or shredding vanes but so far (200 shots) no problems at all.
I did get the drop tine QS model for easier loading.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
How much are you offering for us not to tell your wife :D Just kidding. Glad you like your new bow. Enjoy.

Dan

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
One of the NAP rests with the Hoyt mount.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
bodoodle game dropper...the sweetness of a bodoodle that is unbelievably easy to adjust and the advantages of a fall-away without having to serve a somepart onto your cables or worry about bars all over the place. I purchased mine and never looked back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oneeye, maybe you should change your name to Ruthless!!! It's going to be some serious tap dancin' when ever I get out here and retire and then get back to Indiana...showing up with a new bow. I's gots some 'splainin' to do.

Say, will anyone volunteer to be my accomplice and say you gave it too me?

Ian, with a Hoyt mount? I've noticed that in the Hoyt catalog the rests have a special thing-a-ma-jiggy on the side of the rest where the riser is. What is the purpose of that? When I looked at the riser I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary where a standard rest would work, with exception the few rest's that can be interfered by the back bar on the TEC riser.

Jocephus, I'm not a big fan of the whisker biscuit. Something about resistence against an object your trying to move forward. But as far as holding the arrow on the rest for hunting, I don't think you could beat the biscuit.

Needless to say I'm pumped. Especially after shooting all the different bows I was interested in and ended up purchasing one that wouldn't even consider.

Also, to make matters nicer, I found a 3D range about 6-7 mile from where they have me staying here in Tampa. Dang, this itch is getting worse.

What about arrows?
Looking at arrows at the Beman and Easton sites,
Here is my line up @ 29".
2512's @ 298 grains super slams
340/299 Evolutions
360/242 Redlines
380/270 hunter (Beman
400/244 ICS hunter
400/276 ICS Camo Hunter

I'm leaning towards the 2512's because I want a heavier weight for hunting. I figure w/100 grain broadhead and the nock and inserts it should come out to around 424 grains. Plus I'm a little nostagic and when I read about the carbons at the respective websites it did address that if one broke off in an animal to basically cut a wide swath around the area the arrow entered and traveled through to avoid ingesting the carbon slivers and also to not leave the meat in the woods for other animals to consume.

Plus if you look at total weight of all there is on a 47 grain difference between the heaviest and the lightest...and they're both carbon to boot!!

Whadda ya think?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
889 Posts
As for arrows I'd go with Beman ICS 400's I just shot the same arrow through 5/8 plywood twice and it was fine.

As for a rest I really love my GKF Mirage, easy to set up and tune, and cost about $55.00. It also gave me a ton more fletching clearance than a Game Dropper.

Andy

·
Registered
321 Posts
Blue stew,
I thought the exact same thing about the WhiskerBiscuit but my arrows speak for themselves.I hit a bull at 20yd with the first shot with no sights and two robbinhoods at 30yd within minutes of arriving home with it.And it loads quickly and quietly'
If it affects accuracy negatively then I can't wait to try a "better" rest.
I'm not trying to sell you on it,per say,but I thought just like you did.Who's to say I won't grow tired of it and find something better though?
However,it does look corny. ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would go with the bodoodle pro-lite or the new game dropper. Either one you should be happy with!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jocephus,
Looks don't matter to me it's all about functionality.
I have no doubt it worked out great, I think it's awesome for you, personally I love the biscuit for hunting. Let me know how it affects you fletching over a period of time.
Really, I'm curious. Because a couple of the bows I shot had whisker biscuits and the vanes on the arrows I was shooting were in horrible condition and I was wondering if the biscuit did this.
I love the 2 prong rest (TM hunter) because of it's 2 very delicate contact points and fletching clearance. But I didn't like it for stalking deer. This is where I personally think the biscuit rules.
If all I was going to do was hunt, I'd be all over it. But tournaments will be in my future.
Say, you by chance didn't chrony your bow with & with a biscuit did you? I'm curious how it affects speed.
I was set on going with the APA ulimate hunter rest, until someone made a good point about it. It doesn't allow for the arrow to flex when you release. If your not familiar with this rest, you have the 2 contact points like the prong rest, but the arrow is encircled by the rest so it literally stays contained and always falls down to the rest when you raise the bow.

Thanks for the inputs.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i'm interested to hear about your expirence wiht the ar 34 and how harsh it was at any weight. i have shot several of them and own an ar37 with no problems like you suggest. i really would like to hear about it and you can pm if you like. and i have shothtem from 42 lbs which they will back to on the 60 lb limbs and shot the 70 lb all bare bow with no vibration or handshock if you really did find one you need to let archery research know about it and let them know where you shot it as there is something wrong for that to occur
thanks
rob k

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The AR

Robk,
My experience with the AR was at 60lbs initially and then up to 70lbs. As far as vibration, it was the worst out of the bunch that I shot. Now saying that and knowing that PSE/P. Shepley do produce good bows I cannot explain what happened. I do feel that it had to be something with the bow, because I have heard nothing but good about the AR's. But it was put up or shut up time for me and it didn't perform for me at the time I needed it too.

Like I said, I've heard nothing but good about ARs so I feel that it must be bow specific. But then again, that begs another question. I shot bare bow, what could it have been?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts