Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to purchase a harness after reading all the posts on this site. It really influenced my decision. See some good does come out of all the bickering and B.S. on here. I just had to many bad thoughts of falling in my head not to were one. I never wore one in the past because they are a total pain in the ass. So I went with just a waist belt, easy to use no tangled messes. Why not require hunters to where harnesses, you must have a licience to hunt you must also have a harness? Go get a fall restraint!!!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Good..........I am glad you got a safty belt. You are probably going to hear now that safty belts will kill you, by flipping upside down and all that good stuff, but a belt is better than nothing. Don't take that the wrong way, it is just believed by many that a full body harness is superior. If you do decide to go full body harness, I reccemend the summit fast back. I have yet to have it tangle on me and I wrap it up and throw it in my pack.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
ILHntr said:
I. Why not require hunters to where harnesses, you must have a licience to hunt you must also have a harness? Go get a fall restraint!!!

I agree with wearing the harness. I just now am trying to get used to the sop type.

LAW: Totally disagree with that. If you want one, buy one. If you don't then don't. Next thing you know , you will have to purchase blaze orange with your license just to prove you have it.
Or warm weather gear, flashlight, extra batteries, cell phone, safety lock knife, ...............etc etc.

Sorry to rant and I'm not trying to get on you, good luck with the belt .......as said.....better than nothing at all.

·
Bowhunter
5,247 Posts
Glad to hear you will be belted in. I have almost dozed off enough times that I would not dream of sitting in a tree without my full body harness. If I do fall asleep and tumble at least the only thing that will get smashed on the ground is my bow (I do use a bow hook sometimes, but prefer to keep the bow in my lap in order to minimize movement).

Happy and safe huntin'!

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
You are MUCH better off in a full body harness..

But, if you insist on wearing a "safety belt" instead of a full body harness be sure and snug it up high enough that you can NOT fall below your stand.

There are reasons why OSHA no longer allows "sagfety belts"..

I know. OSHA doesn't have anything to do with hunting, just making a back up statement..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Be sure to wear it properly under the arm pits. Also try hanging from it one time in the yard. You may find that you want to upgrade to a full body harness. The belt only gives you I believe thirty seconds to get back in the stand due to the pressure from the strap on the lungs/chest.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Get yourself a copy of the safe treestand hunting video that comes with just about every stand sold. It's got some good information on how to properly wear your harnesses.

·
Registered
194 Posts
On my box

Great idea. It is a good start. The belt is designed to be worn under the armpits and secured behind you. Try it, with some help, right off the ground. It will arrest your fall but then what?? You will most likely panic because breathing will be difficult? If you wear it lower it will slide up to where it should be or you will slide out. The full body harness or vest type is highly recommended. They are NOT that difficult to master. Just practice with it. Hell, we take a string and and a stick and make the stick go where we aim with practice. We are practice orientated anyway. Whichever, just think of how you will get down if the fall arresting equipment of choice does come into play. Most likely you will be alone, hanging from a lanyard, unable to get your balance, etc. Have a radio or knife handy to cut yourself free. I do not mean in your pack. Remember your pack will most likely be where you fell from. Have your rescue items on your person and easily accessible like velcroed to the front of the harness or your outside jacket. This is serious business. I work offshore in the oilfield and we deal with fall arresting equipment on a daily basis. No one is allowed to even put this equipment on until they have been through a class, reviewed their anticipated job task with me, and have a valid rescure plan in hand. Seems like alot HUH? Well, I believe that 27 confirmed people died in 2002 due to suspension trama. This is not due to the fall but hanging there waiting to be rescured.
I teach this very same subject in our BowHunter Education safety Course. There are all kinds of information about this on the net. Look up suspension trama or fall arresting equipment. One of the bowhunting magazines even ran a 4 page article last year titled, "Will your fall equipment kill you". This is a very serious thing. Just think about it. Most elevated stand manufactures include some type with each purchase. Bow $400+, arrows $12+ea, lease $$$, stand $$$, etc., what is in there to protect you? If you hunt off the ground educate yourself and then others. Anyone out there not ever slipped getting into a elevated stand? Yea, I hear you. Made me think. Friends do not let friends do this. It is not a matter of if you will fall it is a matter of when you do will you survive it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Magic,

I hope everyone reads your message, suspension trama/ischemia is a very serious thing. This happens in a full body harness where you are upright with your legs bent after a fall. If you hang much more than 6-7 minutes you can faint or even become unconscious. It can lead to death. This is due to the blood pooling in the legs and not returning to the upper body (ie, heart and brain). You can delay its onset by "pumping" or pushing the legs against a firm surface (This would be against the tree.) at regular intervals until you are helped. Again, this is only a measure to reduce/delay its effects!

Research is still in progress on this condition but it found that this can happen to anyone...regardless of physical condition or fitness level.

As Magic mentioned already, have a plan in case you fall. Run thru it in your head and think of all the senarios, it could save your life :) Have items you need in an emergency on your person and secured so they don't end up at the bottom of your tree. Keep your tether short so you don't fall past your stand and can possibly climb back into it.

I hope everyone hunts safely so they can continue to enjoy their sport and passion!!

Just my long-winded .02 worth,
Bowgal:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.