Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new Tru-Ball BT Gold Ultra 4 release yesterday, and after only a handful of shots my groupings are vastly improved.

This is the first back-tension release I've used, and I can't believe how easy it was to start using it and getting results. Having read numerous threads on AT about back-tension, I thought it might take some time to get used to it, but with this release it was no trouble at all. All I did was follow the instructions from Tru-Ball in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9cCqE8axWg

All I need to do now is swap the half-moon around to get rid of the click. It's not too bad, but I find that sometimes I anticipate the release and my bow arm starts waving around madly. I think I'm starting to get used to it though, so I might leave it alone.

If anyone is considering getting a back-tension release, this one is brilliant, and it cost me less than half what most of the others did (Tru-Ball Sweet Spot II and all the Carter and Stan releases). It's nicely built and solid, but not bulky.

Can't wait to get out in the field and see how much my scores improve.

· Registered
12 Posts
I switched to a scott longhorn mini pro 3 finger over the summer. I had always shot a wrist strap release and started to get target panic, I was punching bad. I could barely group a pie plate at 40 yds. I hated the back tension release at first. Now it's all I shoot, I even hunt with mine. I killed a doe down in south louisiana this year shooting my longhorn. It has greatly improved my shooting ability and range.

Glad to see you picked up on it so quickly

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to see you picked up on it so quickly
Yeah, I was surprised how easy it was after reading so many threads where people gave up and went back to using triggers etc. I just do it exactly like the guy in the Tru-Ball video and it works perfectly. My biggest concern was that I would accidentally rotate it while drawing and let an arrow fly off into my neighbour's place. With my thumb wrapped around the thumb post, all of the weight is on my thumb and index finger while I'm drawing, so there's no chance of an early discharge.

If anything, it's easier to draw than using my wrist release, and I get a more consistent anchor. I can feel my rhomboids getting a workout as well, so it should be good for strengthening my back.

· Registered
12 Posts
I've been thinking about trying a 4 finger, but I like the feel of my 3 finger. I draw with my middle and ring finger damn near off the release, and I now shoot with it "hot". I set it a little heavier while hunting, but light while shooting at home

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Amazing isn't it? My target panic was in remission about 2 days after I started learning my Honey Do; it really teaches you what a good surprise shot feels like by "automating" the release itself.

However, you may find as I did that you can adapt the same process to your triggers later. It's the same idea - "automating" the actual release of the shot by replacing 'ok fire it now' with another action that can be more easily made "non-cognitive". I've tried it with my Scott wrist-strap - After setting up the shot, I simply rest my index finger on the trigger and slowly relax it. The release goes off by itself. There's a way to fold that into your pull-pull-pull too but I haven't practiced that technique yet.

So you may not have to abandon your triggers after all if you want to hunt, for example.

LS

· Registered
3,171 Posts
I been using a bt gold 3 finger for 3 years now and have tried others and keep going back to my bt gold.. i use mine with a click and mostly because i hunt with mine and like to know before it goes off in case i got to hold off for a better shot.. the bt gold is the only release that i use and it will shrink your groups and make u shoot better guaranteed.. Keep up the practicing you will get better with it and if you need any more info on using a backtension PM padgett on here he is always glad to help and send you any info you need... good luck and good shooting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.