Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i just got it in the mail yestarday, (i bought it used) and it didn't come with instructions on how to take care of it and the use of it.
my question is, how do i take care of it? do i have to lube it and where? get the dust out?
thankx (i would ask how to use it but i will have to have someone do that in person. :) )

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
go to www.sureloc.com I think there are instructions on the website. Main thing is dont oil the gears at all. Only a little dab of oil on the itty bitty ball bearings that make the clicking noise.:D

Call Sureloc if it is not on the website, they can help you, or send you the information you need.

ADam G

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is the ingagement button? pictures?
thankx

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
archery1 said:
what is the ingagement button? pictures?
thankx
Cory,

The challenger sure loc sight does not have an engagement button. That is just on the supreme and older lite models.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Corey,

I have a Sure Loc Installation and Adjustment Instruction book for year 2000 sites (it came with my old Sure Loc Edge which is very similar to the Challenger.

PM me your address and I can send it to you - it's yours if you want it. :D

Scoobs

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is a 2002 model, will it be the same?
thankx scoobs!!!! :) :) :)

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and how often do i have to oil it? and what does it mean to "Shim" it? the guy at my pro shop said i have to shim it, cuz i can't adjust it enough to sight it in. :)
thankx

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Cory,

Sure locs don't really need a whole lot of oil. I shot mine for 10 years and never oiled it once...of course that sight was never out in the rain. My point is there isn't much to worry about with them.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Jon has it right. Less is better when it comes to the oil. IMHO, the only real reasons to use it is if the knob clicks get a bit rough feeling and/or to prevent rust.

I probably put 1 drop on the underside of the top elevation knob and the windage knob per year (the only 2 knobs that "click"), unless I get soaked in the rain. After applying the one drop I turn the knobs several times and wipe off any excess oil. I've owned many Sure-Locs over the years and have never had a problem using this method. Too much oil would make a mess and attract dirt. I use a very light gun oil with a very small application nozzle.

As far as "shimming" goes...if you need to get the scope/pin farther over to the right or left to get sighted in you should have received an offset with the sight that goes on the extension bar. That should give you 1/2" or so of offset if you need it. The only other shimming I can think of is for 3rd axis leveling.

Shoot Straight,
CharlieL

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no oil on the bottom knob?

·
Registered
800 Posts
archery1 said:
no oil on the bottom knob?
Nope :D...I excluded the bottom knob for a reason. If you ever take the knobs off the sight you'll know why. The top elevation knob has notches that ride along a single ball bearing to make the "click" sound, as does the windage knob. The lower elevation knob also has the notches, but it does not have any ball bearing, therefore there is nothing (making contact) to lube. It has been my experience that dirt/rust collecting in these notches and on the ball bearing is what usually gives these sights a rough feel. I sometimes take the top knob off and clean both the knob and the bearing before applying a drop of oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts