Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Bow Bender
6,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forget all the before stuff. I just broke into the middle of my pm as I just had a good day today, even though I missed.

.........I never have shot the Bemans either. I did shot Carbon Express shafts for a while but they were a bit too light and even though I had the weight tubes in them, I never did get the penetration that I thought I should have.

These GT's are some of the older stock, prior to the problem era they are in now. I have 24 beautiful shafts. I am shooting the one dozen now, and have yet to break the others out of the pack. I probably will make them up soon just so I will have lots of extras. I like having lots of shafts. I will take a 50 yard shot on a ground hog if I see one and I don't mind destroying shafts. It has made me a much better archer cause I'm not afraid to unlease one. I do a LOT of field shooting with a buddy of mine. We just walk around and say "hit that walnut or shoot that flower". We have to guess the yardage and once we both have shot, we check the yardage with a laser although by that time we know what the yardage was by where our arrows ended up.

I missed a gimme shot today with my Strikers. There is this absolutely HUGE ground hog at my folks place. He normally hangs out below this one stone wall, so I was slipping down to see if I could get a bead on him. Well, he come waddling up towards me, catching me off guard. As I spin my bow around to knock and arrow and get ready for the shot, he sees me and bolts for his lower hole. I let him go, and eased around to see if he had gone down or was watching to see if I came after him. He was sitting on the egde of his hole, and his face was obscured by a leaf. PERFECT!! I laser him, 27 yards. I draw, move over just enough to clear the bush, and release, he sits there as my arrow sails in a perfectly straight line RIGHT OVER HIS BACK!!! I forgot, I had not shot the Strikers at 30 yet!! I had my 20 yard pin set, and my 40, but was getting ready to shoot the 30 when I went to get him. And you guessed it, I went back to the target and I was about 2" high at 30. Dang it!

This needs to be a post! (Well, I guess it is now.....:wink: )

Anyway, are the Express's small diameter shafts? I am leaning towards that as I love these old pultruded shafts I buy from Cabelas. If I could get close them I would use a shaft that is slim as I think they give much better penetration over all.

Sorry for the ramble, I just had a good day today!!...........

Even if I did miss, it was a good day of shooting!!

Side note as well. The striker sailed right through two yukka plants, and hit a rock I guess in the dirt and broke a blade right off. It was still in there, but the thin part where it is the most vulnerable broke right out. I hope this is not a bad omen about the heads!!

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
You'll get 'em next time.:darkbeer:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts