Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought this could be a somewhat interesting thread to start here...and maybe we could even get some feedback and answers and have some learning experiences.

Here goes:

If you could ask any pro just ONE and only ONE Question about their shooting, their setup, or whatever,

WHAT ONE SERIOUS QUESTION WOULD YOU ASK A PRO?

field14:darkbeer:

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
My first national event I attended, I ended up staying in the same hotel as a few pros. We ended up playing euchre (card game) for several hours, and shooting the bull. We tried to not ask archery questions, but after about an hour the pros said "just ask the questions already, we know you are dieing to ask" so for the next two hours I did get to pick a pros brain:wink:

Lots of arrow set up questions, FOC etc......

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Excuse me......will you shoot outdoor Nationals/Vegas/etc. for me...no no....use my score card:D

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
I have one.....

When competiting at the top level in a sport as repetitive as archery, how do you stay focused? Especially when practicing! How do you keep your fun meter from pegging out?

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excuse me......will you shoot outdoor Nationals/Vegas/etc. for me...no no....use my score card:D
Note CHANGE to the format: What ONE SERIOUS question would you ask a Pro?

Since we all know the answer to Hornet's tongue in cheek question....:confused::wink::tongue:

field14

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Note CHANGE to the format: What ONE SERIOUS question would you ask a Pro?

Since we all know the answer to Hornet's tongue in cheek question....:confused::wink::tongue:

field14
What are you talking about I am serious.....I would be more then willing to let Dave or someone win me a big bowl:D

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have one.....

When competiting at the top level in a sport as repetitive as archery, how do you stay focused? Especially when practicing! How do you keep your fun meter from pegging out?
Staying focused is one of the hardest things to do. For indoor shooting I generally practice on the Vegas face 95 percent of the time. I can guage my setup and my form better by shooting for the baby X's. Most of the time when a top pro misses it is because he lost focus for just a moment. It can actually happen in the blink of an eye. The best way for me to stay focused, is to have a routine and shot sequence and try to duplicate it everytime. as far as keeping my fun meter from pegging out, I set goals and strive to set them. For instance, if I am shooting good, I will keep track of how many X's I shoot in a row. Say for instance if I shot 300 X's in a row, my next goal would be more than 300. I am always striving for perfection. I may not ever get there, I'm not sure anyone ever will, but if I strive for it, then I can only get better and come closer to my objectives.
Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
796 Posts
What's the best piece of advice you would like to share with someone thinking about becoming a PRO?
Make sure that it is what you really want and don't put to much pressure on yourself if you decide to take that step. I have been putting too much pressure on myself and although I have not won anything major yet, I am learning a lot about myself and things I need to work on. I am also having a blast while doing so.

·
Registered
796 Posts
What do you spend most of your time working on in your development?
I am working more on my form than anything while trying different setups and bow configurations. I have learned in the past three big tournaments, that I have to go back to my back tension releases. With a trigger release I am getting too tentative with my shot execution under pressure. I started back with the back tension the day after Louisville.:wink:

·
Registered
186 Posts
thank you

just a public thank you to field14 for starting the thread and 60xbulldog60x for helpful answers and feedback. (I did check out your home page)

What does "tentative" feel like mentally and/or physically? Since that is not what is desired, what "one word description" would you give to a properly executed shot? It could be several one word descriptions.

Thank you all so much and hopefully many others will join in...I'm excited about this thread...good luck.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
How did sponsorship change the way you approached the game?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
What does "tentative" feel like mentally and/or physically? Since that is not what is desired, what "one word description" would you give to a properly executed shot? It could be several one word descriptions.
Tentative:

Tight, tense, anxious, fearful.

Properly executed shot:

Effortless, easy, fluid, almost accidental.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got plenty of questions...one at a time

Thanks swami (re: tentative)
Earlier 60xbulldog60x mentioned "be sure that's what you want to do"....I can't stop thinking about it, yet I want to be qualified, worthy so to speak. My question is...other than just getting "spanked" what would be a primary obsticle or pitfall for a new pro and how could he or she be better prepared to work thru it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just getting warmed up...

What would you consider to be common ground or a shared characteristic of a pro?

Could someone define a "pro" in general terms, other than someone who gets paid to shoot a bow. What is a "PRO"? For example, most people recognise the names of the top pros and yet I hear there are great shooters who never go to a tournament...where is the middle ground, where does it start?...other than pay the extra and step on the line.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks swami (re: tentative)
Earlier 60xbulldog60x mentioned "be sure that's what you want to do"....I can't stop thinking about it, yet I want to be qualified, worthy so to speak. My question is...other than just getting "spanked" what would be a primary obsticle or pitfall for a new pro and how could he or she be better prepared to work thru it?
One thing I was getting at was, Do you have any goals at the Ametuer level? Such as a National Championship. I always wanted to win a National Championship before I turned pro. I was lucky enough to win the Indoor Nationals in 2006 in the AMFS division. I then turned pro the following year. I have always felt like I could shoot as good as the top Pro's on any given day, I just wanted to achieve a goal before I stepped up. I also could not afford to do all the travelling until the last couple of years. Like I said earlier, I am learning a lot about myself as an archer under the gun and I am enjoying every minute of it. If you have any goals as an ametuer, I would persue them. If you have already achieved them and feel like you have the game to step up, then you may want to step up. If you step up, and you feel like you are not competing at that level, give yourself a good amount of time to feel things out and stay with it. The more you shoot in that arena, the more comfortable you will become. There are not an awful lot of Pro's out there that went to the top very quickly. It think it takes a little time and effort to get comfortable as a Pro for most people.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts