Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I shot the 2009 Martin Firecat ! It was set at 29 inches and 60lbs from the factory . The bow drew really nice smooth and loaded up just before break over to a very solid back wall . Then I sqeezed the trigger on the release and it spit the arrow right out I mean ZOOM !!! which i really thought was impressive . It was very much like the speed of my 101st Airborne. The Firecat did have a bit of jump in the hand . Also it was loud . Before I go any further I have to say this was a bare bow out of the box . All that was added was a whiscer bisquit . It had a hollow sound even just pecking on the limb with a nuckle ( like nocking on a door ). I would have to say for the price it was very tolerable , the bow really needs a good stabelizer and some limbsavers . Other than that it was a fine bow well crafted and good looking. Has anybody eles shot one of theese bows and had good or bad experiance. Not sure I'm ready to buy one yet

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
I shot it and I generally agree with your review. The one I shot had been out of the box for a while and had a notable vibration through the lower part of the riser/lower limb, which I chalk up to not being properly set up rather than some inherent design flaw with the bow. Unfortunately, I'm just not a fan overall of shorter ATA bows as I don't like the way the string anchors against my face or the distance of the peep from my eye.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
All Martins have that "plock" type of sound when shot. Its considerably better than in years past though since they got rid of the limb pocket system they used (that thing seemed to amplify it as well as vibration).

I shot the Cat & Hawk as well - Limbsavers and Stabilizer should do the trick. The Warthog seems to be a bit quieter and thanks to the longer riser, less buzz and thump than the Cat & Hawk. The Warthog is not the quietest bow in the world by any means but is right along the same lines as my GT-500 was- a touch louder (it's also a touch faster though). I was prepared for it to be much louder than it is . I'm not a "silence freak" though, and I've hunted with and killed deer with alot louder bows than this one ( cough: Darton: cough) :D

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I would say you are very accurate with your description. Once I got the cams timed, Posten Woodsman, a set of string leeches and limbsavers on it made a big difference. The bow settled right in and the bit of vibration that was present out of the box was gone, but the speed got even better!:wink:

Mine was on 08 by the way.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all ! I have never shot a Martin before yesterday . I am very intrested in the bows . A new local pro shop in the area just started selling the Martin line and to help promote the bows quoted me a price several hundred less than I could touch a Bowtech , Hoyt , or Mathews for. Just wanted some info before makeing my choice on the bow to shoot. For some reason Martin told him they are a little behind and could only send a Firecat at this time follwed by the Firehawk , then Moab , and last the Warthog . It seems I will have to wait a while anyway the Firecat was out of the box maybe a hour and a guy bought it. No telling when the next one will show. thanks again, Frank

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Tonight I shot the 2009 Martin Firecat ! It was set at 29 inches and 60lbs from the factory . The bow drew really nice smooth and loaded up just before break over to a very solid back wall . Then I sqeezed the trigger on the release and it spit the arrow right out I mean ZOOM !!! which i really thought was impressive . Not sure I'm ready to buy one yet
Hey 2BlueDucks,
You might change your mind if you check my ad in the classifieds. I can get you one from my CAL Ranch store below cost (delivered) if you are interested...they are closing out their bows and won't be carrying them anymore.
My local shop carries Martin too, and you're right, dad bow go Zoom! it is a bit too short a-to-a for most western hunters who generally get shots at 30+ yds...lemme know if you look at the ad and change your mind:thumbs_up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts