Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because now it seems my bow arm and bow hand move more than before. Is this normal? Or do I have the tension to high??? I normally shoot a Carter 2 Shot or an Insatiable.. Thanks...

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
depends

It depends. Are you just learning to shoot back tension or just switching to a new release. I know since I have started learning back tension, I actually notice MORE movement but also MUCH MORE accuracy. Go figure that one out for me:confused:

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
if its set properly, you shouldnt notice much if any movement! watch the pro's shooting BT you dont see movement...alot of the problem is your fighting the release! your body..arms,hands ect need to be relaxed so the back muscles work the way they are suppose to...tension is the enemy.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if its set properly, you shouldnt notice much if any movement! watch the pro's shooting BT you dont see movement...alot of the problem is your fighting the release! your body..arms,hands ect need to be relaxed so the back muscles work the way they are suppose to...tension is the enemy.

Thanks for the advise. I am also going to lower the release hold poundage to see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I used the squeeze me with great results. My advice would be to set the release very heavy to start to really learn to use the back muscles, this seemed to help me stop using my bicep and arm muscles to fire it. Shoot up close without worrying about the sight for awhile as well then start shooting the target up close and move back. I would warn against lightening up that release as it will be too easy to fake it and not use the proper back muscles. At first it should feel like its tough to get the release to go but once you learn the right muscles, your back muscles are much stronger so then it feels right. Good luck, its worth it in the end, I'm shooting better than I ever have now.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the squeeze me with great results. My advice would be to set the release very heavy to start to really learn to use the back muscles, this seemed to help me stop using my bicep and arm muscles to fire it. Shoot up close without worrying about the sight for awhile as well then start shooting the target up close and move back. I would warn against lightening up that release as it will be too easy to fake it and not use the proper back muscles. At first it should feel like its tough to get the release to go but once you learn the right muscles, your back muscles are much stronger so then it feels right. Good luck, its worth it in the end, I'm shooting better than I ever have now.

Thanks.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Google John Dudley, and find articles by him. There are 2 Glade articles about back tension that are really helpful.

Basically you have to keep your bow arm shoulder down. If you let it ride up, it will seem like you are trying to pull a truck! That's because your bow arm shoulder blade blocks the movement of your draw arm shoulder blade, so you can't pull easily. There will be much more movement than if you are punching a trigger or rotating a release. You must develop the tension across your back so that you pull like you are making the arrow longer. That keeps the tension in line with the target. If you adjust the SQMe too light, it will go off when you press the safety. It's a balancing act, but it will teach you to use back tension if you will persevere and let it teach you. It's not a 3 day program!!

Dudley also has an article on shot sequence that is good.

If you haven't seen them, "Core Archery" and "Idiot Proof Archery" are helpful also.

If you will keep up this journey, you'll be shooting better than ever and more consistently.

Work Hard.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Google John Dudley, and find articles by him. There are 2 Glade articles about back tension that are really helpful.

Basically you have to keep your bow arm shoulder down. If you let it ride up, it will seem like you are trying to pull a truck! That's because your bow arm shoulder blade blocks the movement of your draw arm shoulder blade, so you can't pull easily. There will be much more movement than if you are punching a trigger or rotating a release. You must develop the tension across your back so that you pull like you are making the arrow longer. That keeps the tension in line with the target. If you adjust the SQMe too light, it will go off when you press the safety. It's a balancing act, but it will teach you to use back tension if you will persevere and let it teach you. It's not a 3 day program!!

Dudley also has an article on shot sequence that is good.

If you haven't seen them, "Core Archery" and "Idiot Proof Archery" are helpful also.

If you will keep up this journey, you'll be shooting better than ever and more consistently.

Work Hard.
Thank you very much..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts