Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Cato
4,163 Posts
Brace height is pretty high as well. I agree sounds too high for recurve even with light arrows. Need to verify the chrono.

·
Registered
Speed Fiend
1,678 Posts
25" Topoint Unison riser
70" MK archery Zest 46# limbs
FF+ string, 18 strands
9 1/4" brace height
AAE elite rest
Beiter button
29 1/2" draw

240fps. View attachment 7692838
Seems a bit high for a recurve, even with very light arrows. Have you calibrated your chrono, or checked your result against another machine?
Can't calibrate the Caldwells yourself. They are factory calibrated. Caldwells usually read 10-15fps high

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems a bit high for a recurve, even with very light arrows. Have you calibrated your chrono, or checked your result against another machine?
Not my chrono, but it's brand new and gave 223fps for a 42# w&w prime build my friend owns. Tested many bows and got the expected results.
I should add that MK poundage is rated with limb bolts wound out and that my bow is all the way in.
I am getting 51-52# out of it.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Sorry, but no way that is accurate. Even Border Covert Hunter doesn't generate that kind of speed.
Something is amiss.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah I remember Sid from Border archery basically saying if you're exceeding 210 fps on a recurve you're just slowly dry firing it until something breaks. He's done more testing with recurve bows than anyone except for maybe Doug Denton at Hoyt.

Oh, also that chrono is garbage. I have a 33 1/2" draw length (amo), and with a similar setup and about the lightest arrows on the market I could only get 220 fps tops.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Don't believe it - what weight are your arrows?

I get 190fps out of my 60# recurve with 500g arrows...and that's very quick...especially for the particular bow

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't believe it - what weight are your arrows?

I get 190fps out of my 60# recurve with 500g arrows...and that's very quick...especially for the particular bow
If in WA, you are welcome to have a shot and then decide. I stated all specs in previous posts, from bow to set up to arrow.
My 1950s 44# 66" Root punched out 196fps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts