Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would say that its hardly the bow but mostly the shooter. I was at my local archery range and I decided to shoot one of their shop bows.. It was a Mathews Genesis. I shot a dozen shots from it and then got used to it enough. After some time I started gapping and found out that at 20 yards I was shooting a no less than 20 score with 5 arrows. I was using fingers and no sight. So long story short I had fun with a kids bow. :wink:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lol I hear you there operator error must be carefully analyzed to get any kind of consistent data.
On a lighter note glad you had fun with the kids bow I myself picked up my first compound after several years and several bows and had a grand ol time plinking around with my micro adrenaline.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol I hear you there operator error must be carefully analyzed to get any kind of consistent data.
On a lighter note glad you had fun with the kids bow I myself picked up my first compound after several years and several bows and had a grand ol time plinking around with my micro adrenaline.
Lol, I have shoot compounds, recurves and longbows. But this kids bow really is not that bad of a bow. Well the draw length does go up to like 30 inches.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The Mathews Genesis is the bow used in the National Archery in the Schools Program by thousands of students. (The Easton 1820's are the required arrows.) My boys joined the archery team in high school, and I took my first bow shots on the Mathews, got my own for kicks, and ... here I am (wherever that is!).

It's a very hip bow to shoot, only 20#, but if you pair it with some .600 feathered carbons, it's an accurate dot-ripper for sure. No let-off, pulls to a long draw length, designed for finger shooting, inexpensive, bullet-proof ... a great stepping stone into all types of archery.

I'd venture that it's the closest thing with wheels to a stickbow.

Go, team!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yeah, they are pretty sweet little bows for sub $200. And I think they look nice too (for a compound). If only the draw weight could be cranked up to 35-40lbs :)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Buzz is that the Genesis shoots about as fast as a 35# recurve.

I don't chrono, but its 20# shot is much faster than a 20# recurve shot ... must be in the wheels. It's a surprisingly fast shooter with a light carbon arrow.

A 35-40 would be quite a zinger.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Get an older long ATA roundwheel compound in a longer DL than you can use, then get someone to build a short string for it. That will give you very little let-off and also drop the peak DW. Makes for a really neat finger bow and can be done very cheap with the right ebay/pawnshop find.

-Grant

·
Registered
774 Posts
My wife tried one of these at an archery range we visited in Bend, OR - and she got a sweet bulls-eye! Great bow! She liked all the colors it came in! I think hers wasn't "dialed up" that much (there's like an allen wrench bolt that they can crank to increase the power on it?) and occasionally the arrow bounced off the target, LOL. that was pretty scary having an arrow fly right back at you.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife tried one of these at an archery range we visited in Bend, OR - and she got a sweet bulls-eye! Great bow! She liked all the colors it came in! I think hers wasn't "dialed up" that much (there's like an allen wrench bolt that they can crank to increase the power on it?) and occasionally the arrow bounced off the target, LOL. that was pretty scary having an arrow fly right back at you.
I was shooting it at 20#. I see people shooting all the time and the arrows fly back at them. But I was using my arrows from my Olympic recurve which were full length 500 spine and they were heavy but still I started gapping and I shot very well with it.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Lol, I have shoot compounds, recurves and longbows. But this kids bow really is not that bad of a bow. Well the draw length does go up to like 30 inches.
My daughter has one. I have to say, I hate it. It's nice and durable, a great camp bow, or range bow, but it's all mushy as anything, and if you're doing much over 20 yards, getting the arrows to a target might be a bit of an exercise. For a cheap kids' bow, I like my other daughter's Browning Discovery much, MUCH better. She shoots it pretty well with fingers. The old Ben Pearson my youngest is using (20# hybrid on loan from a friend), i like even more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts