Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking today,
this snow storm could be just what Kansas and other states needs. It seems to me that all the snow will really make it difficult on the rifle hunters. I think it will pretty much end the walkers and blockers type of method not to mention the fact that county roads will be near impassable due to drifting if we get the 40mph wind that is in the forecast.
Actually, I took my daughter rifle hunting this afternoon, we sat in the falling snow with about 8" already on the ground and didnt see any deer. There were some tracks in the snow tho.

Just 1 more reason I bowhunt. :becky:

·
Registered
795 Posts
I left my heart in Kansas this year, well kinda. I filmed the biggest buck I ever got on video this year and I had to leave him out there after 24 days of hunting him. If rifle hunters have a little tougher of a time chasing the big one that is OK with me.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Yep I'm gonna be greedy and say that I hope this blizzard just totaly ruins Iowa's shotgun season too.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
i would

I was thinking today,
this snow storm could be just what Kansas and other states needs. It seems to me that all the snow will really make it difficult on the rifle hunters. I think it will pretty much end the walkers and blockers type of method not to mention the fact that county roads will be near impassable due to drifting if we get the 40mph wind that is in the forecast.
Actually, I took my daughter rifle hunting this afternoon, we sat in the falling snow with about 8" already on the ground and didnt see any deer. There were some tracks in the snow tho.

Just 1 more reason I bowhunt. :becky:
i would dang sure be out there when it lets up, cause the deer will be moving good. most of time they are laid up during storm. but as soon as it passes, man jackpot.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Any of the rifle hunters that are good enough to hunters to get out of their truck and actually hunt are probably tagged long before this snow hit. And as a rifle hunter, I prefer the snow. The one thing about it that bothers me is that it gives the road hunters an advantage by allowing them to spot deer better.

·
Registered
450 Posts
About 4-6" here in NE South Dakota....I've said it before on here, but hunting with snow does a lot. You get to see tracks and how deer are moving before the hunt and recovery on snow is excellent. Picking up a blood trail without it sucks if everything doesn't come together. Just tracking alone on fresh snow with or without a blood trail gets you way ahead of the game.

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
The Fort is pretty much shut down tomorrow.............schools and most Army units are closing doors.

Might just have to go sit in a tree tomorrow.:wink:

·
Registered
703 Posts
here in douglass county we have only a few inches so far. im not too upset cause im about tagged out and would only go out for another doe, i can wait but i want to hunt so bad, its just scary going to public land during rifle season

·
Registered
184 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more. We got 10 inches and the wind is blowing hard. It's not supposed to warm up until later next week. It will be hard to get anywhere off the road for awhile which means 90% of the rifle hunters out here are screwed. They can't hunt around here unless they can use their vehicle to find the deer.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
i hear ya guy's.

afterall i'd hate to see my son who has missed the last 3 seasons,christmas and all other gatherings defending our country. get a shot at a nice buck. i may be able to shoot next year........:rolleyes:

he finally got a weeks leave to come home and has enouigh time to do a little rifle hunting.

i hope you guy's real;ize how stupid you really sound........:mad:

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
If someone hunts today (not from truck) and succeeds, they have my respect. I just spent the last half hr scraping my truck and driving to work. State offices are closed. Doh!

THinking about snow goose hunting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am an elitist a-hole bowhunter and I sure hope the blizzard ruins the rifle guy's hunt so real hunters like me can have more deer to stick next year.:confused:W...TF?

This is one of the stupidest threads I've ever seen on AT...and there's alot of'em.FWIW,snowfall here during deer season ALWAYS means success rates go up...not down.Of course hunting in a blizzard isn't very productive,but I'd rather hunt bigwoods eastern whitetails with snow down than on bare ground anytime.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I was planning on hunting today, but the schools are closed. Damn the luck!!!
I will be going out this evening though. We didnt get much snow here in Baldwin, but its colder then a well diggers @ss, or a witches teety in a brass bra.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I think what the OP meant was that all the real hunters have probably tagged out already, or will still go hunt. Its the weekend warrior that only hunts one weekend a year, and sights in his gun at the first deer he shoots at, that will be affected by this storm.
You cant get defensive when everyone on here *****es about these people, I am sure you do as well. So calm down.

·
BOW ONLY!
2,591 Posts
I am sure the snow will save a few bucks from the guns this year. The only problem is I feel bad for the farmers that still have crops standing. There were some farmers trying to get crops out before the snow but many didnt make it.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
i hear ya guy's.

afterall i'd hate to see my son who has missed the last 3 seasons,christmas and all other gatherings defending our country. get a shot at a nice buck. i may be able to shoot next year........:rolleyes:

he finally got a weeks leave to come home and has enouigh time to do a little rifle hunting.

i hope you guy's real;ize how stupid you really sound........:mad:
I am an elitist a-hole bowhunter and I sure hope the blizzard ruins the rifle guy's hunt so real hunters like me can have more deer to stick next year.:confused:W...TF?

This is one of the stupidest threads I've ever seen on AT...and there's alot of'em.FWIW,snowfall here during deer season ALWAYS means success rates go up...not down.Of course hunting in a blizzard isn't very productive,but I'd rather hunt bigwoods eastern whitetails with snow down than on bare ground anytime.

Couldn't agree more with you two. hntksn, I hope your son gets in some good hunting and family time, tell him thanks for what he does.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts