Archery Talk Forum banner

just wondering?

1064 Views 12 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  MOHALucan
this is for you guys that shoot target. i was wondering if you guys had target bows to shoot or if you shot your hunting bows for target. i shoot my vectrix xl for target and its also my hunting bow. im thinking about buying me a target bow next year. i have my 3d shooting setup that i shwitch back and forth from. my uncle has been 3d shooting for 25 years. so hes pretty good, but he said that having a target bow right now would be a big change switching from 3ding to hunting, thats why i dont have one.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Well, i dnt use the SAME bow, but i use the same type of bow.
I shoot a Mathews Conquest 4 with a scope and Carbon Express Arrows for 3-D (ASA) and Spots. And I also shoot a Mathews Conquest 4 with pins for hunting.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
strictly target
i DONT do hunting with this bow
if some one did i would have to kill them:embara::tongue::rolleyes::wink:
lolololol

· Registered
487 Posts
i got a hoyt katera and i use it for both 3d and hunting
i really dont think its worth it 2 buy two bows.
its like with people and buying new bows
its all in your head
if you get good enough at your hunting bow youll be good enough to shoot target with it...
just practice repetition

· Registered
692 Posts
i use my hunting bow for 3D and spot but i put on my scope and 3d stabilizer on it. i think im going to get a target bow next year tho.

· Registered
3,042 Posts
this is for you guys that shoot target. i was wondering if you guys had target bows to shoot or if you shot your hunting bows for target. i shoot my vectrix xl for target and its also my hunting bow. im thinking about buying me a target bow next year. i have my 3d shooting setup that i shwitch back and forth from. my uncle has been 3d shooting for 25 years. so hes pretty good, but he said that having a target bow right now would be a big change switching from 3ding to hunting, thats why i dont have one.
i think that there's no reason you can't use your Vectrix XL for spot shooting. you gotta remember though that if it's over 60#, it's illegal for indoor and outdoor target shooting. i'm assuming that you shoot pins and a short stab for hunting; if you get yourself a nice set of target stabs (28" main rod for a start, 8-10" side rod to offset the weight of the sight, if you like), you bow will be better balanced and forgiving in that respect for the accuracy needed for spot shooting, especially outdoor. you can also get yourself a target sight and a magnified scope, but pins would be fine for indoors. it doesn't need to be anything fancy and super expensive, just a target sight with an elevation bar and a little scope and it'll be just fine. you may find that you'll need a different peep if you this route, though. those are basically the only two changes you'd need to do to have yourself a spot bow without actually buying a spot bow. however, dedicated spot bows like for example the Ultra Elite and Pro Elite from Hoyt are designed with a higher brace height and longer ATA than hunting bows, both of which increase the overall forgiveness of the bow.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think that there's no reason you can't use your Vectrix XL for spot shooting. you gotta remember though that if it's over 60#, it's illegal for indoor and outdoor target shooting. i'm assuming that you shoot pins and a short stab for hunting; if you get yourself a nice set of target stabs (28" main rod for a start, 8-10" side rod to offset the weight of the sight, if you like), you bow will be better balanced and forgiving in that respect for the accuracy needed for spot shooting, especially outdoor. you can also get yourself a target sight and a magnified scope, but pins would be fine for indoors. it doesn't need to be anything fancy and super expensive, just a target sight with an elevation bar and a little scope and it'll be just fine. you may find that you'll need a different peep if you this route, though. those are basically the only two changes you'd need to do to have yourself a spot bow without actually buying a spot bow. however, dedicated spot bows like for example the Ultra Elite and Pro Elite from Hoyt are designed with a higher brace height and longer ATA than hunting bows, both of which increase the overall forgiveness of the bow.
i dont shoot, my hunting setup for target. i have a sureloc sight and a viper scope, i also have a 30 in aep stabalizer and a v bar on it.

· Registered
712 Posts
I have always shot my hunting setup for 3D so I can get more experience with it to be more confident in the woods. However, I do use a 32" stabilizer every once in a while just to have fun with it. I just bought an 82nd Airborne, so now I have an even better 3D rig than my old ViperTec......:darkbeer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.