Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worry Christmas all!

I have expanded my bow options this year to include a purpose built 3D rig (previously used one bow for 3D and spots) using a ‘17 PSE Evolve 35.

I plan to shoot K45 and have two arrows built up: GT Series 22 Pro and CE Maxima Blu RZ. Both with Tophat Apex points. My bow is 60lb Draw at 31” so I don’t know total arrow weight yet, need to chrono for 286ish to stay under speed limit variance allowed. This Evolve is fast at my draw length.

Any benefit to shooting the smaller .244 size CE arrow? I can get both arrows to the same weight so this is more about what makes sense. Tip weight starting is 120 for the GT and 130 for the CE.

Bow setup is below, Hamskea micro tune rest so plenty tuneable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I shot an Evolve last year with the GT 22's. Good combo but really any arrow you feel good with is what you need to shoot.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd run X cutter with around 140 up front if ya can. They would be deadly with your draw length.
I ran those last year from my Rival. I moved to the Series 22 for a do it all combo so I have more than a dozen on hand.

X-Cutter was a great Arrow for me, but plenty happy with the 22s. I think I will end up north of 140 for point weight anyway just to get under 288. Target speed is 286.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shot an Evolve last year with the GT 22's. Good combo but really any arrow you feel good with is what you need to shoot.
I really like how the combo works (so far), and I have a dozen available to me so that is how I was leaning.

·
Registered
276 Posts
22's are a great arrow but with that bow you have a lot of options, with a 31" draw you could easily shoot a bigger arrow well, also in known distance don't be hung up with speed if you find you more point weight to make bigger arrows shoot better it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
22's are a great arrow but with that bow you have a lot of options, with a 31" draw you could easily shoot a bigger arrow well, also in known distance don't be hung up with speed if you find you more point weight to make bigger arrows shoot better it will be fine.
Concur. Since I have a dozen 22s already, plus a multitude of components for them, it makes sense to use what I have. I may try some of the new CE Tank3D for my son, he’s shooting some of my 22s for JOAD and is on their verge of earning his bronze pin (280/300). 1/64” is not a big deal but he’s pulling maybe 45lb so the softer spine will help him more than me.

I have a few different point weights built up to 386gr TAW, 415, and 425. I like the Apex points for 3D and they take brass weights in the back like the GT FACT system.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Xcutters with 120-140 up front is hard to beat

·
Registered
246 Posts
Easton Superdrive 25 about 30 inches carbon to carbon with 125 or 150 in front, set them up with all gold tip components, I’d add point weight to get my speed at 270-275, and use a good size vane , not indoor big but not small either, Q2i 2.1 inch .55 height, or AAE Max Stealth if speed allows… In your class I’m way more into point weight and vane than speed as it is known yardage… and the 290 spine in the Superdrive is great...

·
I'm nicer than I appear
8,037 Posts
I've used both the X-Cutter w/140 up front and Pro 22's w/120 up front in the ASA K45 class.

The Pro22 is much easier to slide into the 12 with arrows already there, but my scores were better with the X-Cutters just due to catching more lines.

You're choice, you really can't go wrong with either arrow!

Great looking bow BTW!!!!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've used both the X-Cutter w/140 up front and Pro 22's w/120 up front in the ASA K45 class.

The Pro22 is much easier to slide into the 12 with arrows already there, but my scores were better with the X-Cutters just due to catching more lines.

You're choice, you really can't go wrong with either arrow!

Great looking bow BTW!!!!!
Thanks!

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,524 Posts
With your draw length and the Evolve 35........ Carbon Express Tank 27's should be a seriously considered. The shafts are light enough that you can still use a good amount of tip weight. I only have a 26" draw and have had very good success in Known classes with CE LineJammers which are a bit smaller and lighter. I have 130 grains up front on an arrow with a total weight of about 340 grains. I'd go heavier but as it is I only get about 265-270 fps.

This year I'm shooting a PerformX 3D that I believe is a good bit faster than my Xpression 3D was so a heavier arrow may be in my future.

Fatter shafts definitely pull a good bit more foam than thinner shafts. You must be willing to go after the upper or lower 12.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With your draw length and the Evolve 35........ Carbon Express Tank 27's should be a seriously considered. The shafts are light enough that you can still use a good amount of tip weight. I only have a 26" draw and have had very good success in Known classes with CE LineJammers which are a bit smaller and lighter. I have 130 grains up front on an arrow with a total weight of about 340 grains. I'd go heavier but as it is I only get about 265-270 fps.

This year I'm shooting a PerformX 3D that I believe is a good bit faster than my Xpression 3D was so a heavier arrow may be in my future.

Fatter shafts definitely pull a good bit more foam than thinner shafts. You must be willing to go after the upper or lower 12.
Is there concern of a crowded 12 ring on the known distance targets? Theoretically makes sense to me that this would be the case.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts