Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

I've got access to hunt two spots in Kansas, however, they are about as far apart as possible. I live in the Minneapolis area, so I'm needing some help "scouting".

Option 1. Hunt 80 acres in Johnson county, heavily wooded, full of deer I'm told. Whitetail hunt.
Option 2. Hunt NW Kansas for mule deer, lots more land to access.

Here are my initial thoughts. The cost doesn't appear to be much different from one hunt to another. However, I can't do both in one year. I like the fact of having more land to access. However, going in "blind", the 80 would be "easier" to decipher and hunt. I can probably only swing one 5 day per year.

When it typical rut for whitetails in Kansas?

Is Johnson county a complete bust I shouldn't mess with? It appears to encompass a large part of the metro area. It's a deer management unit.

If you don't feel comfortable replying, send me a PM. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth my time and effort to invest in a shed hunt this spring to check out the areas.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would go with the whitetail hunt, but thats just me. The rut around that area usually starts around Halloween and runs up to thanksgiving. If i were to pick a week, it prob would be either the 2nd or 3rd week of Nov. Also, if thers are alot of does on the 80 acres, the bucks will be there during that timeframe.

·
X-Ray
2,292 Posts
deer hunt

I would go with the northwest hunt because:
it should be more open and you will be able to scout from the road move in and stalk some deer. Might be able to move in and set up a stand in a likely spot too. you would have the chance at mule deer and whitetails. I think you would see some big ones too! good luck!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Both would be good options. To hunt Mule Deer in Kansas as a NR you must draw a mule deer stamp($100). You have to draw a whitetail tag to be eligible for the mule deer stamp. If there are not many whitetails in your area you may stuck with a $300+ deer tag and no mule deer stamp. Just something to think about.

Matt

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I am biased so please consider that with what i am about to say.

If i had the option i would avoid johnson County like it has just been diagnosed with the Black Plague. There are some rural areas but most anywhere you are you will here cars and planes and yuppies.

With that said there are some very nice deer in the area. Considering that about every other parcel of land is owned by a city dweller who decided to "get back to nature" and does not allow hunting, the deer have plenty of areas to go and hide and not be disturbed.

either way you should check each of the areas out on the interenet. google earth, terraserver and even mapquest can give you an idea of what you will be walking into. Just a hint if you have not used these tools before spend some time looking at ground you are familiar with. this will help you learn to distinguish terrain and types of cover.

Marc

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Norton County is the NW land. No more details yet. However, I am a bit concerned about getting the mule tag on top of the whitetail tag. Need to do some more research on the area to see if they have both species there.

The 80 is private in Johnson county that has one other hunter. I'm hoping to talk to him soon to see what his goals are, how he hunts etc... I'm only interested in trophy deer. However, if he pushes the land all the time, I won't waste my time/money.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Big Whitetails in Norton County. I would put in for the WT and if you get the muley tag it would be a bonus. Like said above Johnson county is full of anti's and may not be your best bet.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Last I heard Norton had more whitetails then mulies.

True-metro areas hold some big bucks, but I wouldn't hunt JoCo. It has it's own unit for a reason.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Your Choice

I grew up in Johnson County. It is in the heart of the city but the whitetail there are huge, if you get a spot that has no pressure. PM me and I will discuss it with you. There are a bunch of areas with-in JOCO there that are holding monsters.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hunt options

Blow off Johnson County....Norton County 100%...both good whitetails and mulies...hands down. Hope this helps! PM me if you need more info.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
+1
I would have to agree

I grew up in Johnson County. It is in the heart of the city but the whitetail there are huge, if you get a spot that has no pressure. PM me and I will discuss it with you. There are a bunch of areas with-in JOCO there that are holding monsters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts