Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Thanks in advance for any input and help on this subject.

I am looking at moving to Kansas in the near future and I am trying to decide where to live. I will be working in the southern Kansas City, Kansas area. I am looking to buy a few acres and have deer coming through my back yard.

I am curious about two things here. First, is it legal to bow hunt in the Kansas City, Kansas city limits (not the Missouri side)? Second, can anyone recommend an area within 30 or so miles from Overland Park Kansas that holds deer. I am looking at buying about 5 acres somewhere? My plan is to put a mobile home on the property while I get my "dream home" built over time. I am not a rich man so this will take time, but the deer are important from the beginning.

Fire away and thanks for your help.....

Kris24

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kris, most of the cities here do NOT allow archery practice or deer hunting on a regular basis. I asked the Overland Park Animal Control if I could archery hunt a buddies woodlot he was holding for development, and they said if they caught me with a dead deer shot with an arrow in Overland Park they would ticket me for felony animal cruelty and discharging a weapon in the city limits. That seemed a little much, not sure if he knew what he was talking about or not..... I have known people who bowhunt in Lenexa and Kansas City, KS though, not sure the legality of it.

That being said, you picked a truly outstanding time to move here. I've seen several pretty nice mid sized houses, a little dated on the inside, with 10 acres or so and not in a city limits for under $250,000, which is a price point not seen around here in 15 years. Close in property is still premium priced though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I live on the Missouri side a little north of the KCI airport. Deer hunting in and around area is pretty good. I know of several 180-190 inch bucks taken in 2011. However, I would recommend you do your homework as first post says most cities won't allow hunting. In the rural areas some counties won't allow trailers either.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My first thought would be to make sure you live in KS. That way you could avoid the drawing process for deer and still buy an over the counter tag non resident tag here in MO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
7x7...absolutely going to be on the Kansas side....and JW, I have to be more positive than that. There has to be a perfect little spot somewhere close to KC that has good deer passing through. I am not looking for a huge piece of land, but just enough to have some fun on. The land doesnt have to hold the deer, but it needs to be in the right spot for them to use as a travel corridor.

Dont be shy folks.....I'm looking for all the advise I can get.

I have been searching realty sites, but maybe I should switch gears and be looking for land that is "for sale by owner". The problem is that I am several hundred miles away and I dont know how to search for land that is for sale by owner.

·
Registered
35 Posts
kris24, you mentioned you would be working on the south side, so we're talking Olathe or Gardner? Check out this house near Mound City, with 26 acres for $100,000. Can't beat that! i'm sure it needs a little work but what do you want for $100,000. It looks like it should be an awesome place to hunt deer.

http://www.landwatch.com/Linn-County-Kansas-House-for-sale/pid/249733740

It would be, probably, just an estimate, a hour from this house to Olathe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gravelroads....you are someone who understands exactly what I am looking for.....thank you!!!!! I need more of these type property guys....I need to be a bit closer to KC but this is dead on the type of thing I am looking for....I am definitely following up on this one Gravelroads...thanks again....and keep them coming guys!!!!! FYI....I will be working out of Overland Park if I get the job!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ksgobbler....thanks and that is awesome...love the price but that is just a bit too far away...i can do an hour commute but that one is just a bit much....you are definitely on the right track though....i dont know how you guys are finding these but please do tell. I want something exactly like this, but I just need to be a little closer to KC. Google says Waverly is about 80 miles out...and I am looking for more like 50 at the max. I would really like a 30 minute (30 mile) commute to KC, and I know I wont be able to get get a piece of land that size and for that price closer to KC. I can do a smaller tract as long as the commute is shorter, but please dont let that deter you from telling me about bigger pieces an hour out. I dont mind a longer commute when I am coming home to a piece of land that gives me everything I want. :usa2:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I live in Kansas City, Kansas out in Edwardsville. Problem with buying land around here is some people who owned land around here have became millionaires selling their land to the Nascar Track, and the Legends mall. With that, everyone who owns and is trying to sell land in the KCK area thinks their land is worth two million an acre when it's clearly not. I'm not kidding or trying to stear you away from the area its just fact. Every once in a while you can stumble upon a little land for relative cheap but you will end up paying more in taxes than what it's worth. Hopefully helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
twosheds....what sparked this entire thread is the fact that i found 5 acres in kansas city kansas less than 10 miles from the track for less than 40K....that is why i asked if bow hunting is legal in KC. Having said that a couple of the previous post about larger plots further out from KC for relatively cheap has totally switched my gears. I am looking to move to a more rural location where i know hunting is legal.

...........I still am curious though if I buy the land in KC (somewhat near the track...Kansas city limits), will I be able to legally bow hunt on my own small piece of land? Does anybody know the regs on that, and I am still all ears on the larger blocks of land further out more rural areas??? Thanks for all the input everyone! I need all the help I can get here. God Bless!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I want to know this as well, I called KDWP, they said call the county, I called the county, they told me bowhunting was illegal on county park property but otherwise OK. I called a few weeks later and a lady told me hunting in Wyandotte county was illegal no matter what.

I find that hard to believe, there is very large acreage in WYco I know it gets hunted. Anyone know for sure.

·
Registered
181 Posts
In Johnson County, you can bowhunt if the property if 40+ acres. I've read the regs and I took an 8 point a couple weeks ago in southern Overland Park. It was on an 80 acre piece of property. Around louisburg, you can find what you're looking for, and you won't have to worry about too many regulations. the people that live out there do it to get away from johnson county. It's just a bit south of overland park by about 15 minutes. great genetics there too.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I grew up near the Johnson/Miami county line. Used to be pretty rural and now there is a house on every 10 acre tract you see. Honestly, you are just spinning your wheels with this search on AT. I would simply move to Ks and rent for 6 months to get a lay of the land then dive into the purchase when you can see it for yourself. When I go back every few years I find the drive that used to take me 10 minutes is now an easy 30. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Yes you can bowhunt in Wyandotte county. If your really after a deal and aint afraid of the neighborhood look N of Quindaro Blvd and E of say 108th street. Quindaro doesnt run that far out Leavenworth road does though. Lots of monsters around there. Even a few guys that manage for trophies.

Had about a 6 acre spot that was exactly what you are looking for and it was awsome. Now theres some sort of water treatment plant there.
It dont take much in the Dotte. Had a couple of friends that had numerous places to hunt there. They bought about a dz cameras to hang out to see what was around.

I told them your gonna be sorry because your gonna see exactly what you dont see. First season from July-Dec they had 60 diffrent bucks over 140 on film. The whole season between 3 guys and lots of hours they seen 3 of those deer. Them Dotte deer aint dumb but there are some dandies.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have trail cameras out, probably 18 different bucks, only seen 2 small bucks on stand with probably over 50 sits the last two years. Why are Wyco deer so smart?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Thats a pretty good ? bass. I attribute the majority of it to dogs. Mainly the freeroaming wild ones. Ive seen'em in packs as big as 20 from barely old enough to walk to so old they can barely move.

They arent near as many as say 5 years ago. Im gonna say someone got tired of it and took matters into their own hands. There are still tons along the river though. Once the bucks find a sancturary in town they will be extremely faithful to it. They may travel far but dont mind traveling back to safety.

Extremely nocturanal is almost an understatement.

Another thing is every nimrod w/ 2 arms has a bow now and thinks because deer live in close proximaty to humans their stupid and pay no attention to human scent. It is the exact opposite.

Deer in the city freak out way more than their farmland cousins when people start trying to kill them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts