Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Non-resident deer tags are $442.50? Holy crap! Any other states this high, or higher?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Not quite right, you also have to buy a $97.50 hunting license. The $442.50 is just the tag itself, not the license to use it. Together, that's more than we pay for a LIFETIME license here. Surprised everyone else doesn't charge US what we charge them out of spite.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not quite right, you also have to buy a $97.50 hunting license. The $442.50 is just the tag itself, not the license to use it. Together, that's more than we pay for a LIFETIME license here. Surprised everyone else doesn't charge US what we charge them out of spite.
yeah, i saw that and was curious about that also. So almost $600 just for your license! Thats crazy! Guess i know where i won't be hunting!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Ontario non res moose is $483
Non res Deer $241
Bear $241
Yote/wolf $272+ a $120 small licence is required

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Illinois 1 buck tag was like 475$ + hunting license plus 10-15$ for some other stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
KS is all about the revenue, and no matter what they increase it to, people will come...that is probably 10% of a total week long hunt...all in...

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
If you are hunting out of state the tag cost is just part of it. Couple hundred more doesn't really matter, add in cheaper gas and it is probably cheaper now than previous years;-)

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Yeh I do illonois and Kansas first 2 weeks of November. It stings alittle.

·
Registered
467 Posts
NC did that. They got tired of every state around charging so much for non-residents that you have to pay what your state charges for non-resident. It cost $165 for a resident sportsmans here in TN! Greed!!

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
More importantly states should be looking a models that are more sustainable long term.
Subsidizing resident licenses at artificially low prices with higher nonresident costs isn't a good long term model for funding fish and game departments. This isn't limited to Kansas by the way.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More importantly states should be looking a models that are more sustainable long term.
Subsidizing resident licenses at artificially low prices with higher nonresident costs isn't a good long term model for funding fish and game departments. This isn't limited to Kansas by the way.
I'm sure it's not, i just happened to look at an outfitter there and noticed the fees.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Iowa is that high.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You have to also understand the amount of WIHA land Kansaa has to offer. They literally lease over a million acres a year from farmers and ranchers in every county at a huge cost in order to give ample hunting opportunity for everyone and anyone with a license. My ranch is bordered on 3 sides by this leased land and two of the deer on my hit list where taken by hunters from Pennsylvania this year so I can guarantee you if you put in the scouting time the large tag price is a nominal fee for the amount of land and world class bucks you will have access too.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have to also understand the amount of WIHA land Kansaa has to offer. They literally lease over a million acres a year from farmers and ranchers in every county at a huge cost in order to give ample hunting opportunity for everyone and anyone with a license. My ranch is bordered on 3 sides by this leased land and two of the deer on my hit list where taken by hunters from Pennsylvania this year so I can guarantee you if you put in the scouting time the large tag price is a nominal fee for the amount of land and world class bucks you will have access too.
Not saying I don't agree, definitely some great bucks, and i'm sure it's worth it. Just wasn't expecting that much. I'm just starting to look around for hunts, and noticing multiple states like this. Kansas just happened to be the first one i came across.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Montana did the same thing. All the bordering states had extremely high license fee's so they jacked theirs way up. Used to be about $100, now it's $600 because you have to buy a combo, and elk is $1000.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Montana did the same thing. All the bordering states had extremely high license fee's so they jacked theirs way up. Used to be about $100, now it's $600 because you have to buy a combo, and elk is $1000.

A deer elk combo is around $1000. Not just elk.

Nonetheless, still very pricy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
I'm betting it's not to generate more revenue, but instead limit the number of people hunting from out of state. If it were 50 bucks all in, there would be alot more out of state hunters going there, they raise the price and that reduces the number of hunters since most out of state will not pay it, some will, but many will not.

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
I'm betting it's not to generate more revenue, but instead limit the number of people hunting from out of state. If it were 50 bucks all in, there would be alot more out of state hunters going there, they raise the price and that reduces the number of hunters since most out of state will not pay it, some will, but many will not.
They all ready limit the number via a draw. However they base the tag allocation for the unit set on demand via previous applications.
If they want to limit tags they very well could just place lower allotments in any unit they chose. Being a draw for non residents the methods in place already.

I don't mean to me overly pointed in the discussion but we should call a spade a spade rather then seeking out hidden unstated motivations. This is revenue generation pure and simple.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
They all ready limit the number via a draw. However they base the tag allocation for the unit set on demand via previous applications.
If they want to limit tags they very well could just place lower allotments in any unit they chose. Being a draw for non residents the methods in place already.

I don't mean to me overly pointed in the discussion but we should call a spade a spade rather then seeking out hidden unstated motivations. This is revenue generation pure and simple.
Yep, did not know they had a draw/lotto system, just another money grab...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts