Archery Talk Forum banner

Katera and Vectrix

539 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  flounder112
My scenario-I want to shoot a little faster bow, but be able to back it down to about 55lb. I want to just shoot a good average speed without having to pull my arms off. I want to know a few things about these bows. I like the way Hoyts shoot so these are the 2 I kind of have it narrowed down to. What kind of speeds are people getting in the 53-60# draw range? List an arrow weight. I am thinking about 350gr. is what my setup will end up shooting. The other thing. How do you think the Katera and Vectrix shoot? Does the weight bother you when hunting? Let the conversation begin. I value the opinion of experience from true archery people like the people on AT. Thanks for your help.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Can't speak for the 60 # set up but my 70# Katera XL is one of the best shooting bows I have had to date. The regular Katera is a bit faster. Keep in mind one thing about weight, its heavy but....you will hold better. Carrying the bow around I don't even notice it.I also have a 17oz B-Stinger on it, add a quiver full of arrows and its heavy by any standard. I for one cannot shoot a lite bow and am puzzled when people say they can't shoot a heavy one. If you have the choice between the two bows, get the Katera and at 60#, shave more weight off that arrow. I shoot a 335gr off my 60# Ultra Tech.
Hope this helps.

· Registered
1,108 Posts
I was planning on purchasing a vectirx...until I shot the katera. The Z3 cams take the little hump out of the vector cams. Insanely smooth. Im shooting mine at 27.5" at 60# at around 285 with a 330ish g Axis 400. The katera is the best bow ive ever shot...havent shot the AM but wouldnt trade my katera for anything.

· Registered
2,847 Posts
I shoot a Vectrix XL 50/60 and a Katera 50/60 - 29" DL. They are both pretty smooth drawing, with the Vectrix maybe slightly smoother. I have both of them maxed out at 62 lbs. The Katera will shoot an IBO weight arrow at 321 fps. Vectrix is 309 fps. I also shoot Axis arrows that weigh 404 grains. In this instance, I'm getting about 288 out of the Katera and 274 from the Vectrix.

I could shoot any bow I wanted - these two are the best. I'm 57 years old and have tennis elbow as well as rotator cuff issues. Don't like the draw cycles of most PSE bows. The Mathews switchback is pretty good, but the Monster won't work for me either.

· Registered
403 Posts
Welcome to the DW vs speed vs weight. I am 65 and have just switched to 60# bows. I have two Bowtech generals because the 8+inch brace is forgiving but they are slow around 270 fps, then there is the Bowtech 101 st Airborne it has the smoothe moduals and it is quick shooting a 400+g rain arrow at over 280 if the Crono is correct. My next bow is a 60 - 70 Katera set at 64# +- and it is quick, I have not put it through the crono yet but speed is there. My last bow is a 60# max DXT which I am waiting for it to be delivered.

If I had to shoot a bow everyday, 50+ shoots it would be the General so far. Like most older objects, slow but confortable.

· Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with the statement about heavy bows. They are obviously going to hold better and I like that. There is a lot of good valid info there. What I shoot right now is about 346gr. at 62lb and I am only shooting 255-260 with a Ross CR334. Now that to me is plenty fast in my regards. My plan is to shoot that same arrow weight, but back my pounds down and by the sounds of it, I should have no problems getting the kind of speed I need. I am a younger guy but have been experiencing some problems with my shoulders so who knows, maybe I will make the switch sooner rather than later. Still interested in anything anybody has to say.

· Registered
367 Posts
vectrix

my father shoots a vectrix its his first bow its a 60# setup with beman ics hunter 400 arrows its a nice bow little bit heavier then my am 32 but it shoots really he's very happy with it neither of us have shot the katera they both look to be good though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.