Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a new bow. Narrowed down to two. PSE Vandetta XL and Hoyt Katera XL. What I want to know is what kind of speeds people are getting from these two bows. For the Hoyt it would be the Cam and half not Z3.

Both shoot great, draw super smooth and have no shock or vib. So post up some speeds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have z3 cam on katera xl and i love it. Shoots excelent! i think my bow shoots around 300 fps at 67 pounds. z3 cam is a little faster than cam and half and more solid

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I have the katera xl with the z3 cams and i like it . Im shooting 312 fps at 63 pounds with 400 gram arrows.
Thats smoking, just dont sound right. I'm getting 297 fps at 58 lbs with a 29" and a 309 grain arrow and thats with the Z3 cams. With that being said I love my Kat XL and I actually like the Z3 cams better than the Cam&1/2 +. I think the Z3's pull smoother. The bow is also a real shooter. I had a Vulcan and said I'd never get rid of it because how well it shot and then I got my XL, which I've had for a year and a half now, and then finally decided that it shoots better than the Vulcan. So the Vulcan was sold this fall. The Kat XL is the best shooting bow I've owned. I've owned 5 bows since my Vulcan and the XL is the only one still around. I garuntee if you buy a Katera XL you'll love it. I've never seen one person talk bad about one they owned one.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Z3 is faster, by how much? I tried an XL with Cam/5 last night and it drew sooooo smooth. Is the Z3 really that much smoother? How much speed would I lose with the cam.5?

My only hesitation with the Z3 is I shoot a 27.5 or 28 depending on the bow as each seems a little different. That is where the break is for different string sets with the cams in the tune charts. If I got a 27.5 and it was a little short and I went to a 28 then I have to change all the strings and cables. That is why I am leaning towards the cam.5.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
speed

the katera xl with z3 cam is rated at 320 with cam 1-2 plus 305 i had one it shot nice but as far as the speed it was slower than advertised, this was with z3 cam system as far as the speed listed above tha t is a little overated unless his draw length is over 30 inchesi was shooting a 413 grain arrow at 63lbs with peep and loop my speed was 276 fps.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
draw lenght

i forgot to add that was at 30 inches, the vendetta xl is said to be a really nice bow i am looking forward to shooting it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I just set up a Vendetta XL at 28.5 draw 68lbs at 307fps with a 356gr arrow.
with peep and D-loop out of the box.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I have a regular katera and love it. I shoot a 28 inch draw with a 367grain arrow and get 298. Pse's customer service has turned me totally away from them. Some of the stuff they told me..... ...:eek:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
great info, keep it coming. Still can't decide. Have to buy the PSE but can trade for a Katera.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Well.....

Just sold my Katera XL. Looking very very strong at the Vendetta XL and looking forward to shooting the Rytera Nemesis.

Rep stopped with V-XL last week. Really like that bow. Will most likely bring both in and test both.

`

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Vandetta XL is a great shooting bow. I shot it at the PSE Pro shop. It draws so smooth that at 60 lbs it felt like low 50's. I always have a 60 lb bow and with it I think I would go 70 or custom 65. That way I would have some awesome speed for hunting and still drop down for easy draw and hold for targets.

Only problem is I would have to buy a PSE Vandetta and I could trade for the Katera. Like everyone else, money is tight nowdays or I wouldn't be having this discussion, I would own a Vandetta XL!!

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Thought about this one again.

I have the katera xl with the z3 cams and i like it . Im shooting 312 fps at 63 pounds with 400 gram arrows.
I know I saw that this morning, and questioned it. Just did the calculation, and it comes out to 86.5 ft. lbs. of Kinetic Energy. From a 63# bow, that is... unusual.:wink:

I know the Katera XL is a great bow and I'd sure like to own one. Those #s seem off a bit though.:confused:

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Which bow to trade?

great info, keep it coming. Still can't decide. Have to buy the PSE but can trade for a Katera.
If you trade for the Katera, and don't like it, you can always trade or sell it. I know a few guys who have them and they are very nice.

The Vendetta XL is the #1 bow on my list for next spring, but if I could trade a bow I had for a Katera, I'd probably do it just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, I did shoot the Katera XL last night and it shoots as nice as the Vendetta and feels the same at/after the shot. Just not near as fast. I know speed isn't everything but after being used to my X-Force, it sure is nice. I almost won a unmarked shootoff with it partially due to the speed.

The Vendetta XL is the #1 bow on my list for next spring, but if I could trade a bow I had for a Katera, I'd probably do it just out of curiosity.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Vendetta xl

My vendetta xl. After i tuned it and got it in spec. It shoots my 318 grain gt22's at 319fps and my ct cheeta 400's at 300 grains 331fps. This at 60# 30.5 inch draw. With loop and peep on the string.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Vendetta

32.5 inch draw
70 lb draw
392 Gr Radial X Weave, 300's
57 grains of string wieght (meta peep, two chubs, and loop)

321 FPS

As you know from shooting it and as you know from all the post you have read - SMOOTH draw, quite, its a shooter (have robin hooded one arrow and have had to reflecthed four), one pin to 30 and the second 35 to 45.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts