Archery Talk Forum banner

Katera XL

669 9
So I went down to a local pro shop and finally got to check out some of Hoyts new bows. I'm in the market to get one in the spring.

My favorite was the Katera XL. I like a little bit of a longer bow and I also like the brace height.

What are your guys's opinion on this bow? Also, there are two cam options... what's the scoop with the different cams?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anything about the Katera XL that is best to change right away? In other words, are all the components top notch... like the string, the silencing accessories etc.?

Also, my current bow has side plates, and I really like the feel. How are the side plates for the Katera XL?

· Registered
15,684 Posts
Most hoyt shooters will tell you the strings on them are junk. They make one of the best built bows on the market but i wish they would start putting high quality strings on them. Bowtech, PSE, Elite, Martin and many other companies are using high quality strings time for hoyt to step up. Not bashing i just traded my commander for a proelite and am rebuilding it with new limbs and cams. Awesome shooting bows. You may want to wait and shoot the 09 lineup in a few weeks. supposed to have a 35" bow with a 7.5" brace height.

· Registered
2,656 Posts
My string is fair, my father's camo Katxl has a very good, stable string on it. I think all of these rumors of Fuse strings being junk and everybody else's as being top notch is a bunch of hogwash...I think people are just finding a way to justify their custom colors.

I like the sideplates personally.

I think the Z3 cam is better unless you need the adjustability....I can't feel a difference in the draw cycle but the Z3 is faster.

My favorite bow so far.

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
I shoot the regular Katera...I love the feel of the Z3 cams, smooth draw, good speed and good back wall. As far as the grip goes, I have the side plates on mine and I really like them. I'm anxious to see the '09 models but they are gonna have to be great to make me give up my Katera.

· Registered
683 Posts
Xl

The z3 cam is quite a bit faster but it is draw specific.Both cams shoot well.As far as strings ,the word is they are using a new material and making much better strings and cables .Mine have held up fine all summer.

· Registered
1,257 Posts
xl

I have a katera xl and before I bought it I shot both cam options, I settled on the cam and 1/2, I felt it had a smoother draw cycle. I must admit that the Z3 cam has a much smoother draw cycle than other speed cam bows that I drew, and I did give up a good amount of speed with my decision but my bow is smooth, accurate, stable, and I have had no string issues. Side plates and putting a small limb saver in place of the rubber on the sts (got that idea from another at'er) were the changes I made.....john

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.