Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my set up -

58 pound draw, 26 inch draw, 25.5 inch arrows, Axis 500, 100 g G5 Montec. Est. speed is 268 ft/sec. Arrow weight is 349.9 grains. I used Bow Jackson's site to figure 56 pounds of KE. Is this enough for elk?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Easton says it is.

I ran your numbers through the KE and hunting use section of my Easton shaft selector program it puts you smack dab in the middle of "big game" which, of course, is above "medium sized" game on the chart.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Thats less than I would want to use but it should work. A well placed shot from your set up will no doubt kill the bigest of big bulls, good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Many an elk has been killed by lesser amounts of Ke. Should be fine. Make sre you dont mess with the shoulder blade or frontal shot. Alot of muscle, tendon and bone in the shoulder and tiny target front the front ringed by the before mentioned. Just take good a good % shoot and you'll come away with an elk.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
25# of KE

DR Dean shot this massive 625# Bull Kudu in RSA with a 450 # grain 1818 XX75 Arrow a Single Blade MODOC Warrior 2 blade BH and a [email protected] Jennings bow

Arrow was shot form 10 yards Bull ran 71 yards Arrow went thru skin behind last rib, thru Stomach intestines, diaphragm, liver, lungs and stuck in the heart. Neck injury stopped her from using more bow. Thanks you have more KE than you need Tracey

Tink

Attachments

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Im shooting 47 pounds for elk ;) not too bad, it will work till i get a new bow :shade:

·
Registered
780 Posts
if your montecs are sharp and you keep the shots fairly colse ( not over 35 yrds.) you'll be fine. here in idaho we have a 40 lb. min weight and lots of elk have been killed at that poundage.just make sure you have a good angle into the vitals.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Tink. Does Dot always use aluminum arrows? I'd like to get a little heavier arrow, but I'd hate to go to aluminum.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
I dont think Easton makes 1818s any more No Dot hits too many tree to shoot Alum.....cabon direct more energy i a string lien at close in shots than Alum

Something folks forget

We shoot most of our game under 20 yards and most alum are still fish tailing @ 20 yards while the carbon is straight at 6 feet in flight

She is shooting AXIS 500 Tracy

She has shot clear thru a black bear and 2 Texas Hogs, shot thru and thru with only 40# of Pull; on Her ConCept 32 Bow with 99% let off.

I am shooting 340 Black Max a tad bit heavier than the 340 AXIS

I cna shot them side by side at 20 yadrs

we are shootign 2 .25 Qucik Spin for more Speed fo her and More KE

Down side they are So Hardto see so we added White Fur Fletch to oru Arrows so she can see her hits

Tink

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, the Quick Spins really help? I just put Duravanes on, but after they wear out, I'll consider the quickspins.

I use white vanes and nocks, too. Much easier to see. I'm considering white cresting, too, useing the Krylon Laquer paint.

How do you get a 99% let off? I thought most states forbid anything more than 75%. Just my assumption, no research on it.

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Are you hunting elk this year? If so dont change yoursetup to much before season. I learned the fustrated way not to change it reight before season starts or in middle of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts