Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3B7381DC-B737-4EFF-9D1F-E08B79E40F4E.jpeg

QAD Exodus and I only hunting whitetail.

So it’s getting close to most of our deer seasons and many of us are bored so here’s something a little different. Why not post you Ke, momentum, head used, and game hunted. I’m not asking if what I shoot is good enough. I just thought it may be a good way for people to judge what heads we use and the energy we use to make them work.

Please just keep it fun and no bashing. If someone shoots 300 grains and 2” mechanicals keep your comments to yourself and likewise if they shoot 700 grains with 30% Foc and Iron Wills.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,992 Posts
I can shoot my Cut on Contact BH's on just about any arrow as long as I've tuned for BH's....and get about the same performance...all pass throughs.

So a guy can over think his arrow build....or just use a good solid COC head and spend his extra time focusing on his gear/skills.

_____

·
The Impartial Archer
17,890 Posts
I can shoot a fixed head or mechanical head and do. But most times I just shoot a good fixed head COC........I don't shoot really fast and I group them right with my field tips so IMHO there are no draw backs to going straight to the best penetrating heads for me.

I don't use any of the formulas. I just shoot animals and then see what happens. If I need more penetration I do the two things you can do to get it. Add arrow weight or switch broad head designs.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can shoot my Cut on Contact BH's on just about any arrow as long as I've tuned for BH's....and get about the same performance...all pass throughs.

So a guy can over think his arrow build....or just use a good solid COC head and spend his extra time focusing on his gear/skills.

_____
Yep. I just like looking at other people’s setups. Not to judge but kind of like window shopping. I think some people go the wrong way in both directions but it’s not for me to judge. Just trying to think of a slightly different kind of thread to help pass the time.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Its easy to be middle of the road, it works for the masses no arguing that. I hate being in the middle of the pack It's boring. Plus I like to mess around with different bows and arrow set ups.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I switched from low 400 grain mechanical tipped arrows to 600 grain COC tipped arrows and never looked back 90% of the time it does not help but the 10% that it does is more than worth it to me. The pros far outweigh the cons

·
Vendor
24,777 Posts
I switched from low 400 grain mechanical tipped arrows to 600 grain COC tipped arrows and never looked back 90% of the time it does not help but the 10% that it does is more than worth it to me. The pros far outweigh the cons

Was just doing some packaging this morning and had an arrow display from deer killed about 30 years ago. I had a scale handy and decided to weigh the arrows. I was truly surprised to find that my full length 2213 with razorback 5 broadhead were 590 grain. I got plenty of pass-throughs but some really long light blood trails. I tried Rocket Miniblaster on 2213 cut shorter for the overdraw at 450 gr. It too got pass-through but the blades bent on most kills. The black bear I killed was at 28 yards 309 High Country Speed pro arrow with Grim Reaper Razor Tip. Got a complete pass-through and stuck an inch or two in the ground. After all this, 20 years later, I still use a lighter arrow and Grim Reaper Razortip. My thoughts, I don't care how much dirt I kill on the opposite side of the deer. Making the biggest hole possible with my set up consistently gives me heavier and shorter blood trails. Just what gives me the confidence I need. YMMV:wink:

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,992 Posts
Yep. I just like looking at other people’s setups. Not to judge but kind of like window shopping. I think some people go the wrong way in both directions but it’s not for me to judge. Just trying to think of a slightly different kind of thread to help pass the time.

Yeah, I get it...guys like to tinker.

FWIW, I don't worry about FOC, KE, Momentum and all of the other hot button topics that pop up here....as I think there are more important factors to consider;

1) a forgiving setup that gives me Perfect arrow flight even with slight form flaws....like when you are on your knees in the woods or in all of your hunting garb

2) a quiet bow

3) good penetration but primarily EFFORTLESS penetration...as it gives you less or no animal reaction on the shot....many times they either just stand there...or just walk off.

I get all of those^ things with my 500gr arrow with a COC leading blade head thats BH tuned to perfection....works for me!

_____

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
450gr at 290fps, it says I can hunt any animal on the planet with a strong fixed head. 84.02ftlbs x .579slugs. RevoltX 72lb x 30.5dl.

Last year I tried a Grim Reaper WTS, 400gr total arrow weight, and center punched a 3.5yr old 8pt. The head didn't pop out the opposite side. The deer died in seconds with a short heavy blood trail, but the lack of penetration bothered me. It wasn't a hard bone hit. It hit only ribs, going through both lungs and heart. That was a Hoyt Carbon Defiant at 70lb & 30"dl. The shot was 18yds.

After the season ended I bought a RevoltX & figured I should probably experiment with some heavier arrows, too, to see if I could increase penetration with large cut mechanical heads. I have built and shot 415, 430, 450, 470, 500, and 525gr arrows since February and finally have settled on 450gr because it seems to be the teeter point where anything heavier significantly reduces trajectory. 450 and under seems pretty close out to 40 yards, almost identical at 20yds. Over 450gr at 20yds is several inches low and at 40yds is notably low. I'll try the 450 & see if it makes any difference. If so then I'm happy. If not then I'll keep playing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
450gr at 290fps, it says I can hunt any animal on the planet with a strong fixed head. 84.02ftlbs x .579slugs. RevoltX 72lb x 30.5dl.

Last year I tried a Grim Reaper WTS, 400gr total arrow weight, and center punched a 3.5yr old 8pt. The head didn't pop out the opposite side. The deer died in seconds with a short heavy blood trail, but the lack of penetration bothered me. It wasn't a hard bone hit. It hit only ribs, going through both lungs and heart. That was a Hoyt Carbon Defiant at 70lb & 30"dl. The shot was 18yds.

After the season ended I bought a RevoltX & figured I should probably experiment with some heavier arrows, too, to see if I could increase penetration with large cut mechanical heads. I have built and shot 415, 430, 450, 470, 500, and 525gr arrows since February and finally have settled on 450gr because it seems to be the teeter point where anything heavier significantly reduces trajectory. 450 and under seems pretty close out to 40 yards, almost identical at 20yds. Over 450gr at 20yds is several inches low and at 40yds is notably low. I'll try the 450 & see if it makes any difference. If so then I'm happy. If not then I'll keep playing.
Too reasonable.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

And this is what everyone should do. Try a few things and see what works for you.

·
Vendor
24,777 Posts

Skipop: The whitetail special makes a 2" hole which is huge and does take a lot of momentum to get a pass-through. That plus the fact that the deer could have turned slightly as the arrow entered the deer and changed the direction of the arrow which will lose penetration. That is why I still use the Grim Reaper 1 3/8'' Razor Tip. I get a lot of pass-throughs and the exit wounds are about the diameter of a beer can. The exit holes are bigger because the tip is a couple of inches infront of the open blades. When going through, the hide is stretched a couple of inches before the blades cut it. Give it a try, you might be impressed.:secret:

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Trying an axis 300 with 50 grain inserts and 125 gr VPAs this year. Finished weight should be a hair over 500 grs but haven't weighed them yet. Speed...not sure. Fast enough though. Out of a 66lb carbon spyder at 29in draw. Guessing it'll be around 265 fps.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Skipop: The whitetail special makes a 2" hole which is huge and does take a lot of momentum to get a pass-through. That plus the fact that the deer could have turned slightly as the arrow entered the deer and changed the direction of the arrow which will lose penetration. That is why I still use the Grim Reaper 1 3/8'' Razor Tip. I get a lot of pass-throughs and the exit wounds are about the diameter of a beer can. The exit holes are bigger because the tip is a couple of inches infront of the open blades. When going through, the hide is stretched a couple of inches before the blades cut it. Give it a try, you might be impressed.:secret:
Yeah the WTS is nasty big, totally unnecessary but I wanted to give it an honest effort before making my mind up. The 1-3/8"RT is on my list of "to try". Thanks for the recommendation.

I also took a buck last season with the NAP Double Cross and wasn't awfully impressed. Double lung pass but he ran a long way with spotty trail. I didn't find him before the coyotes did so that was disappointing, but the hole went through 3rd & 4th ribs. It resembled a shotgun slug more so than a broad head, but the blades were deployed on the arrow. It appears to have went through and only deployed while punching out the far side hide. Given the placement, that deer should have dropped in sight from hemorrhage if the blades deployed.

I'm always experimenting with stuff, whether it be broad heads, arrows, tree stands, management tactics, etc. Never really know what works until I find out for myself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Screenshot_20200806-090118_qSpine[753].jpg

Been using slick trick viper tricks with great results, just bought some montec M3's to try out.
I shoot a local brand of arrow called gidgee sticks that aren't on ot2,
but the BE x-impact specs are almost identical.
Chrono I shot through said 276 so numbers should be pretty close.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts