Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you shot a bow that is 62 lbs pull shooting 300 fps. Would the KE be same as if you shot the same bow but, the pull was 52 lbs and 300 fps all variables the same (ARROW WEIGHT, HEAD WEIGHT, ATA, DRAW LENGTH) only Difference is the poundage.........

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
i dont see why it would matter, the things that are going into it, the arrow weight and the speed is the same, the only question is how do you get the same speed with the same bow with 10 lbs draw"?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
???

:confused: same speed and 10#s lighter....you must be talking about going to a bow that is roughly 20 fps faster?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i dont see why it would matter, the things that are going into it, the arrow weight and the speed is the same, the only question is how do you get the same speed with the same bow with 10 lbs draw"?
Just a statement it wouldnt be possible unless the cams were changed someone said there would be less KE in another forum and I didnt think he was right.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=663142

post number 12

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
If you shot a bow that is 62 lbs pull shooting 300 fps. Would the KE be same as if you shot the same bow but, the pull was 52 lbs and 300 fps all variables the same (ARROW WEIGHT, HEAD WEIGHT, ATA, DRAW LENGTH) only Difference is the poundage.........
KE has nothing to do with "the bow" only of the projectile. :)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
ke = 1/2mv^2

Note that ke is a function of the mass and velocity of the arrow. If the mass is the same and the velocity is the same the ke will be the same. Nothing else matters. In other words, 2 arrows of equal mass going the same speed will carry the same kinetic energy. It matters not what threw them.

I would add this about your scenario. It would take a very high stored energy to peak ratio bow to propel a relatively light (say 300 grains) arrow 300 ft/sec at only 62#. I doubt there is a bow made that will throw a 300 grain arrow 300 ft/sec at only 52 lbs. That would require a s.e.p. of over 1.6. The highest I've ever heard of is less than 1.4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts