Archery Talk Forum banner

KE question

383 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  thespyhunter
I am sure that this has been asked before, but the search did me no good.

Question is ~ what is the minimum amount of kenetic energy you feel comfortable with bowhunting deer. Reason I ask is because my shoulders are not so good, and I am trying to reduce my draw weight and get my bow dialed down enough to still be effective yet easier on the shoulders.

Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
just for deer you dont need a ton as long as you hit the spot you want. you could shoot a 40# compound with a properly tuned arrow and a good coc broadhead and you should be fine. I wouldnt go taking 50 yard shots or anything but you should be good to 25-30.

· Registered
1,312 Posts
Easton's Kinetic Energy calculator says 28 foot pounds is bare minimum for small deer. That would be equal to a 310 grain arrow travelling at 200 fps when it hits the deer. At 42 foot pounds you enter their big game category, such as large bodied deer, and elk. That would be a 350 grain arrow moving at 230 fps at impact.

· Premium Member
10,362 Posts
this has been helpful for some people

http://www.goldtip.com/calculators/kinetic.asp

Just figure your poundage first then, weight of arrow that will make good spine for your bows weight then enter your numbers. :) , oh I guess you need speed too.

Just punched in some numbers and I got: example.... 300 grain arrow at 250 fps came out to 41 lbs of KE

Only takes about 40 to put them down!!

· Registered
3,555 Posts
My wife shoots a 380 grain arrow @ 213 fps from a 40# Bowtech Equalizer.
On this deer bone was hit, the deer dropped on the spot, and the broadhead stuck out the other side of the deer.
Slick Trick standard with 38# of KE.

Attachments

· Registered
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife shoots a 380 grain arrow @ 213 fps from a 40# Bowtech Equalizer.
On this deer bone was hit, the deer dropped on the spot, and the broadhead stuck out the other side of the deer.
Slick Trick standard with 38# of KE.

Nice :darkbeer:

I am only dropping down to about 58# from 70-71#.
Thanks for all the info fellas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.