Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Full Time Novice
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been trying to get my reps up between shooting my bow and customers bow I feel as if I dont need to shoot as much. Nevertheless I am trying to shoot a 5 spot or 100 shots a day. Any one I believe this is rhetorical for some but I am always curious as to what you guys might do.

I was shooting and as I wrap up i find pieces of carbon in my hand and arm I go to flex my arrows and not one break or snap or make any sound. Do I disregard the whole doz and buy a new dozen or what?

·
Registered
139 Posts
When in doubt throw it out man. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in but I wouldn’t risk it if you have any doubts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I was shooting and as I wrap up i find pieces of carbon in my hand and arm I go to flex my arrows and not one break or snap or make any sound.
Every time I hear stuff like this, I'm one step closer to going back to aluminum.

Toss in a couple good pictures of splintered shafts through the back of a wrist, and I wonder why I haven't done it already....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quality carbon fiber is a much better material for arrows than wood or aluminum. All materials have a finite lifespan but quality carbon will last longer than other materials. I've used carbon in a number of situations including racing carbon mountain bikes where I've definitely exceeded design limits and had them come through without issue. I have a set of carbon MTB wheels that have close at least 5,000 dirt miles on them and the are still solid, I should probably think about retiring them though.....

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
When that bike frame or wheel fails, what part of your body does it typically impale?

arrow410-21-04Small.jpg

smj586563.fig1.jpg

maxresdefault (2).jpg

·
Registered
51,092 Posts
So I have been trying to get my reps up between shooting my bow and customers bow I feel as if I dont need to shoot as much. Nevertheless I am trying to shoot a 5 spot or 100 shots a day. Any one I believe this is rhetorical for some but I am always curious as to what you guys might do.

I was shooting and as I wrap up i find pieces of carbon in my hand and arm I go to flex my arrows and not one break or snap or make any sound. Do I disregard the whole doz and buy a new dozen or what?
If your finding carbon pieces in your hand it has to be very obvious where they are coming off the shaft. OR if your using a target by a lot of different people it is possible the target is full of broken shaft parts from others your pulling out.

·
Full Time Novice
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the culprit

IMG_0595.jpg

I thank God that I didn’t shoot this. Only pulled out 4-6 divers out of my arms nothing crazy. Just made me think

·
Full Time Novice
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMG_0599.jpg

Check your nocks as well. Found this in another batch of my arrows

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
OMG! that is scary! Glad you found it before it hurt you bad!

Good reminder to very carefully check my arrows BEFORE shooting them!

PS. I agree to check the nocks too. In my case a couple of them sneaked by and made it on my bow. The clue that something was not right was that they were loose fitting on the string.
When I looked carefully, I could see they were cracked down the middle! Examine your nocks carefully!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Very glad you dodged running an arrow thru your hand and caught those bad arrows. Whew!

·
Back Yard Champion
29,692 Posts
When that bike frame or wheel fails, what part of your body does it typically impale?

View attachment 7179885

View attachment 7179887

View attachment 7179889
This stupid picture has been around forever....

You want them pretty wraps? Friend was shooting some new target arrows and gave me one to look over. It didn't take 10 seconds to find a weakness. I held it up to him and asked if he was going to shoot this one. I them snap the arrow off right under his pretty wrap. Yep, the only thing that made the arrow look right was the wrap.

·
Registered
15,379 Posts
Glad you didn't end up impaled!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts