Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so lets say i was out hunting, and my fletching got wet, would that be a problem? and if so, any tricks on preventing or solving this issue?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
It rains a lot and occassionally snows during hunting season in my neck of the woods. This persistent moisture has a tendency to mat the fletching against the shaft providing little guidance and poor arrow flight, especially with broadheads. There are a number of things one can do to counter this problem. You can 1) treat your fletching with water repellent chemicals, 2) you can attempt to keep the fletching covered with fabric or plastic, 3) you can bare shaft tune your tackle to fly fairly well, even with matted fletching, or 4) you can shoot plastic vanes which generally require an elevated arrow rest. All of the above works to some degree, depending circumstances. Plastic vanes are probably the real answer but I enjoy hunting with feathers and shooting from a shelf, although I've been experimenting with vanes and rests. I bare shaft tune to get the best arrow flight possible. I even go so far as to bare shaft tune with broadheads but have to say it's a difficult and potentially dangerous proceedure. If you try to do so, make sure you've got a lot of acreage around because the arrows can take off in amazing displays of uncontrolled flight. I have found that long broadheads like the Howard Hill or Grizzly heads seem to fly the best with little or no fletching guidance.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I asked that same question at the traditional archery league. Quiet a few of the aechers told me to spray the fletchings(i use turkey feathers) with no scent hair spray. They said it makes the rain roll right off them.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I used Camp Dry silicon spray on mine with good results in the morning dew on the lawn.
I have not seen it in actual rain and hunting conditions yet.

Hair spray huh.
Hmmm. I gotz a wife..
Maybe she gotz some... LOL

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've had fair results using the waterproofing powder called 'Rain Dry'. It's not perfect, but works good enuff that I haven't felt the need to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I have a tried several but not all water repellent products. While these chemicals seem to work well for up to a day or so, I've never found one that would stand up for long in persistent wet weather. If you're planning on camping in a wet and cold area in a situation where you can't dry your fletching at night, I think you'll be disappointed in their performance, JMHO.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If your out camping/hunting in a situation where you can't get your feathers dry.
You probably got bigger issues then wet feathers to deal with....

Silicone spray will drive out water if sprayed on enough but then must be given time to dry itself. A night inside your tent is good enough for that...
JMO

·
Registered
518 Posts
The no snow spray from carolina archery products is supposed to work well.I am going to try it this year.I have used the powder stuff and the fletches still lay down with a good rain.

CB

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Bohning's powder has worked for me in most light-to-medium rain fall but if there's a real soaker I take some baby-bottle-liners out of my backpack and pull them over the feathers from the nock-end. They pull off the arrow easily before making the shot. - John

·
Registered
406 Posts
Try Sure unscented deodorant spray. Seems to last pretty well, doesn't smell, and it works on your pits, too. Toodles. Pigpopper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts