Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here are a few thoughts I brought back with me that may help someone else down the road.
--Ticks.....went prepared and won the battle. Thanks jsclark for the 3M Ultrathon lotion tip and we used Permanone made by Repel on all our outer clothes, especially around tucked in pants legs.
--bugs.....wow at just the bugs in general, flies, wasps, roaches, spiders...u name it....just deal withm
--hot hot hot.....you are gonna sweat......take extra camo and/or have access to a washer n dryer
--saw lots and lots of deer. Spotted fawns everywhere. Mostly small bucks. Spikes, cowhorns, 3's, 4's. But did have 2 dandys on trail cams. All in velvet
--everything is green, green, green. And the deer are red, red, red. They stand out like a sore thumb movin through the woods.
--There is noooobody else hunting. I did not see one other single hunter in town, gas stations, Wal-Mart, restaurants, etc. From the sound of it all day, everybody was shootin dove.
--Acorns.....all I saw were still on the tree, maybe a week away from hittin the ground. I hunted standing corn edges. My wife hunted bush-hogd trails in the CRP grass and saw more than she could keep up with

All in all we had a great trip. I killed a really nice 7pt in full velvet and she killed her 1st witha bow. It was definitely different hunting that early in the year, but I would do it again no doubt.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I was in southern Indiana, just across the river from Owensboro, this weekend visiting the mother-in-law. Man it was 100+ on Saturday! How in the world did you hunt in that. Haha. Sunday was nice though. Congrats on the velvet buck.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I live in northeastern Ky man it was too hot for me to hunt I did however go in and gather my trail cams that did excite me with what I seen nice nine point also in velvet hope this weekend produces cooler temps

·
Hero for Hire
1,322 Posts
Where'd you hunt Catfish? Congrats on the success.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on the velvet buck, and glad you enjoyed my home state. That's part of why I started bow hunting. It's hot, but peacful being in the woods alone.

·
Hero for Hire
1,322 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
I hear ya getting it done I see. You aren't ready ready for October 15 are you? How is Austin doing?

-Joey archer

·
Registered
119 Posts
came a week to early temp wise, in the 60s and cloudy the past few days. Glad you guys got on deer, always makes for a fun hunt

·
Registered
119 Posts
who wants to hunt in the rain unless you are hunting out of a ground blind. i tried that yesterday and didnt see anything
I would pick cool/rainy over the 100+ degree temps we endured opening weekend. That was just brutal

·
Registered
191 Posts
Congrats on taking the deer!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Man I usually wait until late Sept early Oct to head out. However this cold front with highs in the 60's would of been a joy to hunt in!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts