Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have another possible move coming for the restaurant biz. This time the gig will be outside Cincinatti and I was looking at the areas to live within an hour that would be a good spot for farm life and hunting. I like the sounds of the northern Kentucky region at least a little south of the three metro counties I was just curious to see if that would be a good choice for that kind of lifestyle or if i should look more at the ohio side or indiana side. Obviously they are all great hunting states but which one would be good for overall hunting? I'm not a trophy hunter and i know all the states mentioned are quality for good bucks but my girl and i just like bowhunting together and filling the freezer for the year. I look forward to hearing from you all. How is it for gaining private land access in any of those areas or is public land quality in those states?

Scott

·
Registered
399 Posts
South of Cincinnati should be perfect for what your looking for. Campbell,Boone,Kenton an Pendleton Co all have great deer an turkey hunting. Pendleton is a little further south but land is available. Pm me if u want. I've lived in Campbell for 50 yrs.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
More public ground in Ohio...... But gaining private getting isn't all that hard in any of the states..... I live in NKY and have hunting grind in all 3 states....... All great deer and turkey.... As well as decent waterfowl hunting at times

·
Mark
5,695 Posts
All 3 are good but Indiana and Ohio has high deer numbers. Northern KY is good but hard to get permission on private land unless you know someone.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Have family in Grant Co. They have big deer on their farm, as a matter of fact I will be heading up that way once the season starts to cull the heard a bit.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Kentucky has far more natural resources than IN or OH. Nearly 50% of KY is forest, KY also has Elk and Bear.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Kentucky has far more natural resources than IN or OH. Nearly 50% of KY is forest, KY also has Elk and Bear.
What does that have to do with hunting northern KY? Theres not a lot of public land in that region. I'm having trouble finding a lease. Some of it having to do with guys coming out of the big city. Northern KY can be good if you can find a place.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm just saying Kentucky has more undeveloped land and more wildlife. So if you find a good property your better off here in KY in my opinion.

·
Vendor
25,428 Posts
I live in Union ky. Saw 35 deer and 6 turkey on my bike ride through Boone Co. tonight. Have a couple places in Greater Cincinnati and a slice of heaven in Peebles Oh to hunt. On the occasion that I get a buck in both ohio and Ky., I then get a license in Indiana. Good hunting in Switzerland Co. Ind and Harrison Ind.
Being a good chef, You will meet a lot of good people. Some of them will know a place you may hunt. Don't be bashful, just ask. If they know of a place, ask them to introduce you to the owners. Good people around here once they get to know ya. I found 6 farms to hunt the first year I lived here by hanging out and making friends with the cook at a locally owned restaurant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts