Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
New Kid
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a recurve archer and don't know anything about compound bows, other than they shoot arrows also (haha). But my son (age 8) preferred compound to recurve so he started taking compound lessons at our local range. Amazon had a great deal on the PSE Mini Burner so we just bought him one.

So to all you experienced wheelie bow parents (or grandparents), is there anything I should know about kids & compound bows? He knows well enough not to dry fire (having seen several videos on YouTube of bows derailing and exploding).

Am I going to have to take the bow to a pro shop every time it needs adjusting as he grows? Should I get longer/stiffer arrows than he needs right now so he can grow into them? Any arrow recommendations (his draw length is about 20" right now, not sure what # he's shooting but definitely less than 20#, probably in the 11-15 range)? Are there any releases that are better/easier for kids?

Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think a wrist release is the easiest for anyone to start with..And especially on the young ones..pulling with a hand release, may be tough on their fingers etc..I'm just now getting back into archery..But that is my suggestion on a release.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think a wrist release is the easiest for anyone to start with..And especially on the young ones..pulling with a hand release, may be tough on their fingers etc..I'm just now getting back into archery..But that is my suggestion on a release.
Amen. I got both of my kids Cobra Youth releases (made in Broken Arrow, OK, USA).

You may want to look at Diamond Infinity Infinate Edge, Mission Craze (I think), or Bear Apprentice III for the bow since they are highly adjustable, can grow with the kids, and can be done without a shop or press. I almost got an Infinite Edge for myself, and went a cheaper route for my kids in the Barnett Youth Vortex which isn't as adjustable but will get my kids a year or two down the road. The draw length of the Barnett and draw weight may exceed what you are needing now.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Tru ball has some new "junior" releases that look really good. I would not try to get anything that he would "grow in to", everything needs to fit him right... at least for right now. There will be quite a few trips to the pro shop over time but its best to get him set up right from the beginning.

·
New Kid
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The TRU-FIRE Patriot Jr release seems to have good reviews on Amazon and is reasonably priced.

·
New Kid
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may want to look at Diamond Infinity Infinate Edge, Mission Craze (I think), or Bear Apprentice III for the bow since they are highly adjustable, can grow with the kids, and can be done without a shop or press. I almost got an Infinite Edge for myself, and went a cheaper route for my kids in the Barnett Youth Vortex which isn't as adjustable but will get my kids a year or two down the road. The draw length of the Barnett and draw weight may exceed what you are needing now.
Thanks for the recommends but we already bought the PSE Mini Burner! :) It seems plenty adjustable and they have a limb replacement program when he needs more draw weight.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
The biggest thing when starting them out is learning the fundamentals. Which is basically impossible to do if the draw length and draw weight aren't correct. Keep the weight to a low, manageable level so they can focus on good form (yes, even at 8 yrs old) and make sure the draw length is as close to correct as possible. I know from personal experience that they grow fast and are constantly chomping-at-the-bit to keep increasing poundage just to show you how strong they are. You have to be the adult and control that. Just because they "can" draw a certain poundage doesn't mean they should. Trust me when I tell you that it's much easier to learn to shoot properly from the start than it is to break bad habits years later. Good luck.

Dawg

·
Registered
749 Posts
started my 8yo daughter with an infinite edge with a 19.5" DL and is at 15lbs for DW and a Scott Hero release, Beeman ICS 500 with 75gr point cut to 25". She is shooting great so far. Concentrate on form and grip right away. Grip will play a big part in how the arrow flies out...as im noticing with my daughter. Also make it a point to have your son put his finger on release for a few seconds then start to squeeze. .kids tend to "punch it" stay away from that! Also make it fun and don't be too critical because once they are addicted to archery they won't have any money left to buy drugs!!!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Letem shoot as much and how he wants, stop at a shop once a month to make sure everything is good..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for the recommends but we already bought the PSE Mini Burner! :) It seems plenty adjustable and they have a limb replacement program when he needs more draw weight.
I went the budget route with online sale at Walmart for $85 for the Barnett Vortex, then splurged on a Bowtech Carbon Icon for myself which is shooting nicely.

My son is maxed out on draw weight at 31# with 23" draw, and is nailing targets from 10 to 25 yards. The arrows are 500 spine Warrior Goldtips cut to 25" to give him some growth and keep broadheads out in front. I picked up some Carbon Express single blade COC broadheads for $15 for the kids. My daughter's bow just came in yesterday, and gotta pick up a whisker biscuit and peep to get it setup.

She can comfortably pull #35 and 25" draw at 12 years old, and can max it out at 38# for her draw length. My wife can barely pull #35, and has a 24" draw length. Once my daughter gets up to 40 comfortably in a year or two, we will probably splurge on her a nice women's bow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts