Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its amazing how many child experts we have on AT and most that type away have never raised a child or even considered having one. I went to another thread like I do as much as I can, just to say good job to a parent of a hunting kid and the kid as well. Man, that became a crap storm and there was no reason for it.................it was simply a father proud of his daughters hunting success.

Being a father of six kids two daughters and four sons, I taught all of them how to hunt from the time they could walk and talk. They sat with me in my ground blinds, tree stands, and duck blinds as many times as I could. Being I spent much of my time in service to this country (25+ years) much of my time with my family was hard to come by.

Kids understand things better then some adults give them credit for, they are not blinded by agendas and ideology, but simply see things as they are. At 5years of age all of my children knew that guns and bows with arrows can kill. They were taught not to touch them without mom or dad being there to supervise and the punishment would be harsh for doing so.

As for killing animals, they seen ducks fall, rabbits bleed, and deer die from an arrow shot many times.......................I took the time and did what a parent should do, teach them the reasons for these things happening. Now some say thats to much for them to process and thats total bull.

My kids are all grown up now, they all have jobs, a few are married or getting that way, and now I have become a grandpa who with mom and dads permission (which they gave me) will teach hunting skills to another young one.

Kids are a reflection of their parents and society and I have little faith in society anymore......................just take a look at the crap these kids are bombarded by every day. Some of it is border line criminal and immoral, so when I have the choice to teach them about the woods and hunting, over letting them become mindless robots of marketing idiots..............I choose hunting and the woods.

I teach used to teach hunters safety for firearms and archery both and I was impressed how much kids understood vs parents who had to attend some of the class. Heck even some adults learned things they never knew about hunting and shooting sports.:)

So, to all you moms, dads, grandpas and grandmas who teach hunting and woodsman skills to a young one....................I applaud you, kids are the future of hunting.

Silenthntr.

hills trip 003 Medium Web view.jpg

Adams deer 05 2 Medium Web view.jpg

jon deer1.jpg

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I cant agree with you more! Excellent post.
Whats that saying that women use,,oh, "if you don't have a vagina, you cant say giving birth doesn't hurt". Well, if you don't have kids, you cant tell me how to raise them.

I don't have any hunting pics yet, but here is a pic of my kids and me, just to prove I am talking from experience.

·
Registered
721 Posts
i dont have kids...but i totally agree with you and when i do have children i plan on teaching them about the great outdoors...not letting anyone (some person bashing a six year old girl for killing her first buck with her daddy) convince me otherwise!!! I really enjoyed all your pics as well!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

·
Registered
359 Posts
Silenthntr....I too was on that other thread and yes I was part of the problem with it getting out of hand. BUT...I do agree with you 100%. I was trying to defend the right of those parents (myself included 2 girls ages 5 and 2) to teach their children what the outdoors are about. GREAT POST and thank you for getting your kids out there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Great post. I have also been mentoring a young man myself, taking him during bow and rifle season. This year was his first as the shooter and he shot a 6 point (legally a 3 point, but me and him call it a 6 as 3 of the tines weren't an inch) during the Mo. youth season. I also run out to Ks to bowhunt with my brother and this year i ended up with by far my biggest deer ever. TO tell you all the truth, both of these hunts were equally exciting for me. I think the one thing everybody has to remember when taking a child is just that, it's a child and i know i had to remind myself of that a couple times as we need to make it fun for them.
I do have one major problem though, he shot his deer within the first hour on his first hunt, now i need to teach him that it's not that easy all of the time. Least it's not that easy for me. Oh well, I'm already looking forward to next year.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Great Post! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

·
No Hype, Just Hunt
12,419 Posts
Absolutely awesome post! Its because of my grandfather and uncles I got into hunting, they have almost identical views about hunt as you and I too now carry those same views.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
well here you go with some pics, i cant agree more about raising kids in the woods. this is a pic of my buck this year and my kids.

this is a pic of my dads buck and my son.

this is a pic of my son and my dad tracking the blood trail from my buck. after it was found we started from the beinging with him.

my son is only 4 years old and has started shooting a bow. he is getting a nucular ice for xmas and my wife is starting archery this year, she has gun hunted the last two years.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
my son is only 4 years old and has started shooting a bow. he is getting a nucular ice for xmas and my wife is starting archery this year, she has gun hunted the last two years.

That is awesome. Love the idea of letting the little one help track the deer (even if it was already found).

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Awesome post and couldn't agree more. I have twins (one boy and one girl) that are 2 1/2 and can't wait to get them out more. They know what all my animals are that are hanging in house and garage, have 5 bows between the two of them. About two weeks ago they wanted to take their nerf bows to daycare for show and tell. Let them take 'em (no arrows of course) and they were a big hit even with the older kids. Out of all the dolls, trucks, stuffed animals and everything else they have they chose their bows. Made me very proud, and they told all their friends at school that they were only allowed to bring their boes cause, no arrows were allowed at school

Can't wait for them to get a little older so I can take them out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
We get some of our family and friends together every year to do a archery camp in october and a rifle camp in november. All our children are too young to hunt but we still bring them out with us and involve them in the cleaning and processing as much as possible. Its something we all look forward to every year. We have killed a lot of deer over the years and I can't wait for our kids to be old enough to hunt with us. What an honor to get to teach the next generation a skill that is old as the hills! We have a cabin we built out in the woods that we stay at for archery and a house cabin our family has for the rifle hunt. This year was one of our best far as dead deer goes and good weather. Its amazing to see the kids show such an interest in the outdoors, not just hunting. Just watching them be happy outside and explore.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Great Post!

I screwed up the other day.....my 8 and 5 yr old daughters helped me butcher a doe in the garage and dummy me didn't get a pic!:mad: 8 yr old LOVES to shoot her bow and the .22. Won't be long and she'll be teaching me.:)

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Great post. It's all about the kids. :)

My son's success this season:

My nephew's success this season:

And my 19yo daughter's first hunting trip was this past weekend.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Great post. I like what you said and you have a great looking family. :)

I will forever be grateful to my parents for taking me hunting and fishing when I was a kid. They instilled in me an appreciation for nature and the animals we hunt that has stuck to this day. The first time I went duck hunting I was four months old...at least that's what I hear. All bundled up in the bottom of the boat with mom and dad, I assume it wasn't bad weather. Dad carried me in a backpack when they went grouse hunting until I was old enough to walk. Then there was a few years when I hunted with them armed with a BB gun, mainly to learn what NOT to do. The wait until I could take gun safety and carry real gun seemed to take forever. Those memories from the distant past are some of my strongest and favorite.

Thanks to my parents and to those of you with kids who are teaching them to enjoy and appreciate the outdoors...:thumb:

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
worth a 1000 words

I already ran a post re: this event, but it's worth it to me and my son to put it up again!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts