Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, first post here.

My son saved up his chore money to buy a bow like is friend down the road has, a Bear Scout. We pitched in with a bag target and some extra ALO's (arrow-like-objects) to match the ones that came with the bow. To be honest, I figured that the starter arrows would last better than they did, but man, those things are pretty lousy. Not that many shots, and the points are all banged up and won't even hardly stick in the dirt, much less the target. Anyway, he shot some, and then he didn't for a while, and then did again, like lots of kids do, and then we took him to the local 4-H archery club meeting last night. Man, did he ever have a ball! Finally, he seems to have a fire burning, and by the end, it was obvious that we needed some better arrows.

So today I went to the local Gibson's (yes, there are a few still around), and the only youth arrows they had were the aforementioned ALO's, then some Goldtip Lightnings. When I used to shoot (before back surgery and shoulder surgery and carpal tunnel surgery) I shot GT's through my recurve, and liked them. How do you think they'll be with this little Bear Scout? One benefit of the GT's is that I can get them locally, and the price is pretty decent. Also, I know that if he sticks with it, he'll be outgrowing the scout pretty quick, so it'd be nice if the GT Lightnings will work with his next bow as well. He's ten, but is small for his age, and has had some physical problems along the way.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the bow, and the arrows.

Thanks,
dow

·
Registered
20 Posts
My kids started when they were 7 & 9 shooting. Daughter was pulling 11 lbs on her first bow. They are still shooting pse Razorback arrows (9 & 12). They’re like pixie sticks, we stripped the feathers and fletched with aae pro Max. Fly great. Believe they’re 1000 spine, they’re the red/white fletched ones. Got them at my local shop for $5 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendation. The GT's are $5.00, too. He shot them some tonight, and they're certainly a lot better than what came with the bow, although I wish that the field points were a little smaller diameter. They're just enough bigger than the shaft diameter that it makes it hard for him to pull them out of the target. On the other hand, they DO stick in the target. 😁👍

·
Registered
28 Posts
I started out with my first hunting bow, a golden eagle, at age 12. I think 45-50 pounds. Kids bows have come a long ways since then. There are some bows that can work for a kid and be adjusted to follow them to adulthood if they wanted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts