Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sitting here watching TV and Bow Madness is on and they have there kids up in a tree with out a harness on. I don't care if you are the president every one should have a tree safety system. I am not pleaced, and I like the Drurys. I thought for sure they would be the ones to show saftey first.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Hmmmm.....when I was a kid I spent more time in trees than on the ground it seems. :lol: Know how often I had a harness on? ;) Heck, climbing a tree is an inborn skill in young humans. I think we're probably genetically programmed to do so. It's just us old farts that fall and break something. Ever notice that? :faint: I think it's because we don't hit the ground as hard when we're kids.....a lot less kinetic energy. :lol:

Or are you one of those that thinks we should just Nerf the world? :darkbeer:

I think kids today don't get "bounced around" enough as it is. Life has become too easy, too safe. Putting them in a bubble will prevent them from becoming who they could be.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hmmmm.....when I was a kid I spent more time in trees than on the ground it seems. :lol: Know how often I had a harness on? ;) Heck, climbing a tree is an inborn skill in young humans. I think we're probably genetically programmed to do so. It's just us old farts that fall and break something. Ever notice that? :faint: I think it's because we don't hit the ground as hard when we're kids.....a lot less kinetic energy. :lol:

I think kids today don't get "bounced around" enough as it is. Life has become too easy, too safe. Putting them in a bubble will prevent them from becoming who they could be.
i'll feel sorry for you when you have to carry your child out and then explain to his/her mother what happened

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
im a young guy and i try to put my harness on when i can. I only have one and i have 3 stands so if i don't have the time to run over and grab it from another stand im out of luck.

smart...no i just don't have enough harnesses or money at the moment

·
Registered
606 Posts

Well said.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
i'll feel sorry for you when you have to carry your child out and then explain to his/her mother what happened
I fully understand this. I would feel horrible. And I would probably have a kid in a harness while hunting. But what were the conditions? What is the problem? Did he almost fall? Was he teetering on the edge? I didn't see the episode. But I doubt he was in a situation where he was endangered. Right?

You probably climbed trees as a kid. Didn't you? Did you wear a lanyard and harness? I doubt it. Did you fall? Probably not. And if you didn't climb any for some reason or another, I suggest you go outside and do it right now. :D Any kid that hasn't climbed a tree is really missing out on life, whether they wear a harness or not.

By the way, safety isn't only acheived with a harness. Trust me, in my line of work it's the norm to wear one all day long. OSHA regs even allow a "safety monitor" on the edges of buildings if you don't want to (or can't for some reason) wear a harness. This is because a responsible person watching out for someone is just as safe as a harness. ;) With the point here being that the kid was likely with a responsible person who was keeping a very close eye on the kid.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts

you will prolly get flamed for this'n buddy, but i cant say I dont agree with you to an extent...

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I am sitting here watching TV and Bow Madness is on and they have there kids up in a tree with out a harness on. I don't care if you are the president every one should have a tree safety system. I am not pleaced, and I like the Drurys. I thought for sure they would be the ones to show saftey first.
So what? Their kids. I only make my 6 yo wear her bicycle helmet after she has had more than 2 beers.

·
Registered
804 Posts
when i was a kid hunting, heck we never wore safety harness . at the best a uncle would make me tie a rope around my waist which would have done more harm than good. but then again we never bought deer stands with safety harness included. i do make my son were one.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts

Nice! I remember bowhunting as an 11yr old... I didnt have a harness... Neither did 90% of the people, and the sad thing is... that wasnt even that long ago... Less than 10yrs:mg:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
When I was a kid I don't think they made harnesses if they did they weren't that good can't remember that far back. If we used anything we would just tie a rope around our waist. These days I where a harness if I use a climber tree stand. But whem I hunt out of my home made stands or ladder stands I don't use one. If you fall out of one of those stands you drank to much beer or tree fell down with you in stand.

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
i dont use one with ladder stands but dont go in a hang on stand without it
I missed it tonight, but I'm betting they were in a ladder stand with rails all the way around.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ok i agree that safety is very important but i mean comon people what are you gonna do wrap them in bubble wrap all their lives???

And before somebody starts that crap wait till you have kids, I do have kids boy and a girl and i dont baby them to death .

again safety is important but kids will be kids and i for one have climbed MANY MANY trees higher than most stands today and im still here typing away.

Oh yeah i shot BB guns and still have my eyes and flipped bikes down gravel roads with no helmet or pads and no plastic surgery so it can be done .

LOL anyhow just thought i would chime in.

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
No way in hell i'd use a harness with a climber.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
i just don't understand how on any given day you can read countless threads on here about "wear your harness" "safety first" "your an idiot if you go in a tree without one" "i have a wife and kids that i have to support" but then when it's flipped around to the kids wearing one it's who cares there kids it's what they do.. what a great role model you guys are being... i will probably be reading about you or your kids on here one day.. asking for prayers and such because of the horrible accident you or your child had. and it all could have been prevented.. :mg::mg: i do understand kids will be kids but when that big buck comes by i highly doubt you are keeping a watchful eye on what you child is doing and i bet safety is the farthest thing from your kids mind when he is watching the deer..:eek:

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
It doesn't matter what kind of answer someone gives. It wil be the wrong one.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Ask anyone who has fallen if they expected to fall and if they wear a harness now? (if they are around)

No way my kids would sit in a stand without a harness, no way I would sit in a stand without a harness, no way anyone hunting my property will be sitting in a tree stand without one either, why risk it?

I too was up and down trees when I was young goofing off, not that it was safe but there is a big diff. in climbing trees as a kid and sitting still in a tree stand, having to stand up, draw your bow, and take a shot at a deer and in wet/icy conditions also..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts