Archery Talk Forum banner

Kids making bows!

586 Views 6 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  SandSquid
This is not really a biuld-Along though it will chronicle our adventures in making and shooting stick bows.

I run a Youth and Developmental Archery Program at my church with the children and adults of the church and a few kids from outside.

I have been trying to get this latest project hatched for about 6 months and it's finally coming together.

Phase 1..... Delivery!!!

12 Hickory U-Finish Hickory Youth Bow Kits, courtesy of http://rudderbows.com/

(2) Left handed 65" bows
(4) Right Handed 65" bows
(6) Right Handed 60" bows

If all goes according to plan we will take our stick-bows to the 3D shoot next month.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My youngest daughter "Lizard" dove into the pile of bow blanks and found one that she deemed acceptable, (Hey, being the Coach's kid has some advantages, right?)

Then she pestered me (incessantly) to make a string...
"Just to see if she could pull it yet" :bowl:

All we had was 8125 and Halo serving but it'll do for "only pulling" purposes.

· Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anybody has an spools (partial or otherwise) of B-500 string they want to get rid of, please PM me. I have a few dollars in the PayPal account I was saving for arm guards and finger tabs, but they are pretty worthless without suitable strings for the bows.

· Registered
267 Posts
Looks like a great project Squid! Are the bows completely tillered and simply need some sanding and a finish? I have a boy scout group that we are planning to do a bow build with (only 5-6 boys though). They are earning their wood working merit badge so I think they would need to do some actual wood working rather than just the finish.... I was going to rough out some oak board bows and let them help with the tillering, but your idea looks MUCH simpler :eek:.

· Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the bows completely tillered and simply need some sanding and a finish?
Pretty much they can be shot right out of the shipping wrapping.

They come floor tillered and as you can see have no hinges and bend uniformly. Draw weight is higher than expected but final sanding should take off a few #.

They are earning their wood working merit badge so I think they would need to do some actual wood working rather than just the finish....
I

Well, the arrow shelf will need some slight radius'ing with a file or float.
You could also use a hand-scraper instead of sandpaper, and a fret saw to widen the shelf.

Then it needs to be finished w/ something protective.

your idea looks MUCH simpler
I was going for a "guaranteed sucess" project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.