Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year the neighboring property got logged, but the loggers put their log yard on the property I hunt, in the corner of a corn field. (The landowner allowed it). The person who plants the field left that area empty this year and I have obtained permission from the landowner to put in a small food plot. The area is roughly 40x25 yards, and is in the absolute perfect place to funnel deer down before heading out to the corn. What would you guys recommend planting? I have some food plot experience on other properties that I hunt, but this is such a killer spot, I am trying to make it perfect. I have had a lot of success with Bio-Logic Green Patch Plus in the past, which is an Oat and Wheat blend. This plot is relatively small, so I will need something that will sustain browsing pressure. Any suggestions?

·
Backwoodsman
177 Posts
I planted a kill plot late spring. Mixture of brassicas, rye grass, clovers, and sun hemp. Deer are living there. This is a small kill plot, probably 40yds x 20yds. Walking thru looks like a cow pasture from all the deer patties in the plot. I will hunt this early season from labor day to mid October.
August, along the edge of the treeline of a hayfield and timber, I am going to plant radishes, turnips, buckwheat, and forage peas. I will hunt this mid October and after.
Ask yourself.. when you are going to hunt this plot you want to plant , how you are going to enter and exit the plot, and where the deer are going to enter and exit the plot. Plant the best food fr the time you want to kill a deer.
Lots to consider in conclusion
Main factor for me.. What can u offer that are going to pull deer naturally there day in and day out. Also, variety is beneficial, dont just plant one species of plant, give them a variety of at least 3 species of plants.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

·
Backwoodsman
177 Posts
As far as the browsing pressure grows, the ryegrass I planted seems indestructible. My deer are hammering my plot and it doesn't seem to affect the density of plant growth. I have been really impressed with that fact so far

·
OutdoorMediaCo.com
460 Posts
Start with a cereal grain base and add some chicory and a fast growing clover. Order a pound or two of chicory offline and the rest you can get at a local feed store usually. Call around first. Brassicas arent going to take the browse pressure well. If the plot does well the chicory and clover will come back and you can keep it maintained with a weed eater for the following year. 50 lbs of cereal grains, 1 lb of chic and 3 lbs of clover per quarter acre should be more than enough for seed. Little kill plots are deadly. Get a couple big mock scrapes made early on the edges. If your spraying a new area go heavy and hit it asap for fall planting. No need to till for any of the seeds I mentioned just get a good kill and knock it down before broadcasting. Have fun!

·
Backwoodsman
177 Posts
The plot behind this old deer is the one I mentioned in my first reply at 5 weeks after planting

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice, thanks guys. The plan is to plant in early august and hunt it early through mid October. It is s super easy spot to access, as I can park my truck 200 yards away, then walk up a fence line into the stand. The way that the terrain lays makes access pretty easy. 90% of the deer bed to the south, so I obviously come from the north. The great thing about this spot is that it will be directly under a treestand that I have already had up for a few years. Without a kill plot it was already very good. By putting this in it should be fantastic.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Plant a blend. It sounds like you are just wanting it for a fall plot to hunt over. Winter wheat, Austrian winter peas, berseem or crimson clover. The winter peas won't last in a small plot but they are very attractive to the deer, the berseem or crimson are fast growing annual clovers (perennial clovers won't grow fast enough for this plot), the wheat will withstand browning pretty well.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The biggest thing that I have found in these type of log loading areas is to lime the heck out of it. We turn all of our log loading areas into mini plots. The problem is that a lot of bark and sawdust get left behind and it is very acidic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured I would have to put a ton of lime down. I'm lucky because the farmer has always planted this area in the past so at least it's in decent shape.

·
Ad Meliora
17,205 Posts
As far as the browsing pressure grows, the ryegrass I planted seems indestructible. My deer are hammering my plot and it doesn't seem to affect the density of plant growth. I have been really impressed with that fact so far

If your deer are "hammering" ryegrass they must be desperate. I would not recommend this to OP but each to their own.

·
Backwoodsman
177 Posts
This deer liked ryegrass last year

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
The deer like annual ryegrass here as well and won't touch brassicas except maybe a few radishes after the season in the dead of winter. I plant a combo of winter wheat, rye, oats with winter peas and some clover in August.

·
Ad Meliora
17,205 Posts
This deer liked ryegrass last year

That's a great deer. Myself and many others have had poor results with ryegrass that was included in a plot mix. Then we had to kill it before planting again...thus the bias against it. Seems there are exceptions to everything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts