Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to switch to grim reaper broadheads, but not sure if I will have enough kinetic energy to get 100% expansion and pass through. I have not decided on what size 85 or 100, does it make a whole lot of difference? 65lbs, 26"D/L, approx. 250fps, w/ ultra drop away rest. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
you need to know your arrow weight and your speed to calculate your KE. Go to goldtip.com once you have that info to get your KE

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
At 250 fps and 65 lbs of draw weight your minimum arrow weight is 325 grains...If this was your setup you would have 45 lbs of kinetic energy...IMO that is not enough to shoot expandable b-heads...

On the other hand if you are getting 250 fps with 65 lbs draw and a 390 grain arrow (roughly 6 g/lbs) then your KE would be 54 lbs...This is exceptable for expandable b-heads...

50 lbs of KE is widely perceived as the absolute minimum for expandables...

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that helps alot, I shoot gold tip hunter 5575 arrows and I think they are right at 400 grains total, does this sound right?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Could be...Those are very nice medium/heavy arrows...If you have that much weight then expandables will work well...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts