Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I figured up my KE tonight at 63fP Ke.(I think thats the right way to type it) anyway its 63.95 to be exact. What is usually the bare minimum to get consistant pass throughs? I know shot placement will make this difficult, but just in general...what have you found gave you pass through after pass through.

And is 63 bad, good or average?

·
Banned
4,049 Posts
Ok so I figured up my KE tonight at 63fP Ke.(I think thats the right way to type it) anyway its 63.95 to be exact. What is usually the bare minimum to get consistant pass throughs? I know shot placement will make this difficult, but just in general...what have you found gave you pass through after pass through.

And is 63 bad, good or average?
i would think you should do fine. whats my ke? 285 fps shooting a 453 grain arrow.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have about 72 fp ke and I blew thru both shoulders on a doe last year no problem. You have plenty. Good to go.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
I've blown through most every deer I've shot, unless I hit solid bone, and that is with setups as low as 40 ft lbs so I'd say you are just fine :)

·
Waiting on Season
14,905 Posts
yeah u will find dirt on lung shots everytime. ke is not your real number though you should find the momentum that will tell you alot more.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I believe it's actually "lb-ft" of KE, but everyone says "ft-lbs". I have right at 60 "ft-lbs" and get pass-throughs every time with mechanical heads (unless large bones are hit, of course).

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
to be honest KE is not the measurement for the info your looking for. momentum is what give you the passthrough. KE is just the hitting force. a super sharp broadhead in front of a nicely weighted arrow is more important than the KE number. there is an article on another hunting and fishing website that explains the difference and relationship of KE and momentum, I'll try to dig it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts